Lee Bowyer was sent off in injury time as Birmingham City held on to snap Charlton’s unbeaten start to life back in the Championship.

Teenager Jude Bellingham scored the opener, following a goalless first-half, before the Addicks boss was shown a straight red by referee Matthew Donohue during the six added minutes.

READ: Bowyer explains red card incident - post-match transcript on the incident in full

A ball appeared to have been thrown from Birmingham's bench on the pitch, in an apparent bid to waste time, before Bowyer threw it back.

Mr Donohue subsequently brandished Bowyer a red card but the Addicks boss received a standing ovation as he walked across the sidelines.

Charlton desperately sought the equaliser, in what proved to be a feisty clash, after they had a host of chances to take the lead earlier on.

After Jonathan Leko sent in a dangerous cross, Jason Pearce headed wide from a corner before Conor Gallagher could only lift a curling effort off target.

And despite Josh Cullen finding Leko in behind the Birmingham defence with a near-perfect pass, the striker struggled to get it fully under control.

Birmingham rarely troubled Charlton in the first-half but did force goalkeeper Dillon Phillips to tip Lukas Jutkiewicz’s clever flick over the bar.

The game’s only goal arrived seven minutes into the restart when Bellingham slotted home from close-range after a flowing counter-attack.

With Birmingham growing into the game after taking the lead, Bowyer brought on Williams for Erhun Oztumer in a bid to level the scores.

Charlton came close to scoring when goalkeeper Lee Camp got low twice to deny Gallagher and Chris Solly before Maxime Colin made a vital clearance.

Bowyer made two more changes, bringing on Beram Kayal and Chuks Aneke, before officials announced there would be six minutes of added time.

After Tomer Hemed and substitute Kayal went close, David Davis was booked following a foul and tripped captain Pearce after he kicked the ball away.

Charlton threw everything at Birmingham to find the crucial equaliser, and even sent Phillips up from goal, before drama ensued.

But the hosts would clear their lines well enough to win and secure their first victory at The Valley since 2014.

Charlton team: Phillips; Solly, Lockyer, Pearce, Purrington; Field (Aneke 70), Cullen, Gallagher, Oztumer (Williams 58); Hemed, Leko (Kayal 77)

Subs not used: Amos, Pratley, Bonne and Sarr