Connor Dymond’s dismissal made a huge difference as Weymouth defeated Welling United by the only goal.

For the first thirty minutes there was little to choose between the teams but then Dymond committed two yellow card offences in quick succession and was dismissed.

Following their goal-less draw with Eastbourne Borough on Tuesday night, Welling manager Mark Goldberg restored Adam Coombes and Gavin McCallum to the starting line-up and they looked good in the early exchanges.

In the first minute Weymouth won a corner. It appeared that Yemi Odubade had scuffed it but it came to Jake McCarthy who fired well over. The reaction between the two players suggested that it might have been a training ground move.

Shortly after, Ben Thomson raced twenty yards to double hand shove Rob Swaine in the chest for no obvious reason but the officials either missed it or ignored it.

Then it was Welling’s turn to create an opportunity when Joe Anderson found Joshua Oyinsan in the middle. He laid it back but Luke Rooney was slightly off balance and volleyed wide.

Anthony Cook appeared to have been brought down in the penalty area but Welling didn’t protest when the free kick was awarded outside the penalty area. With everyone expecting Adam Coombes to take it, Cook had the shot and curled it just wide with Calum Ward struggling to get across.

Andy Robinson had a shot deflected wide for Weymouth before he intercepted a loose Welling pass and advanced but hit his shot too cleanly straight into Dan Wilks’ mid-drift.

Debutant Lionel Ainsworth then shot wide for Weymouth before Welling came close when Cook found Oyinsan who held it up well before laying it back to Cook who spotted Ward off his line but floated his effort just over from beyond thirty yards out.

Things changed for Welling when two the two bookable offences that saw Dymond dismissed. Oyinsan was sacrificed immediately with Montel Agyemang being introduced to strengthen the midfield.

Ollie Harfield then fired a free kick straight at Wilks before McCarthy fired wide from well out.

As half time approached, Harfield hit another low shot wide of the post.

After the interval, Welling defended deeply and looked to keep Weymouth to long range shots with the hope of catching them on the break.

Wilks turned a Harfield shot over from a tight angle then Abdulai Baggie shot just wide.

Baggie tried to catch Wilks out at his near post but the Welling goalkeeper got down well and made the save.

Calvin Brooks fired well over and Weymouth continued to get into positions outside the penalty area and fire shots off target when a little more patience might have reaped rewards. Harfield, Robinson, McCarthy all failed to keep their shots down.

Finally, they did cause problems in the penalty area but Welling defenders made blocks with Ejiro Okosieme making a particularly brave stop as Thomson tried to force it home.

Just as it was starting to look that Welling may hold out, Weymouth broke their dam. Josh Wakefield had a shot saved brilliantly by Wilks but Brett Williams was first to the rebound and he forced it home.

Another Wakefield effort was saved before Jack Jebb was introduced for the last ten minutes. Almost immediately he caused problems and had a shot deflected wide. From his corner, Rob Swaine’s header was blocked out, Okosieme’s follow up was also charged down as far as Agyemang. He put it back in and Gavin McCallum hooked it just over.

That proved to be Welling’s last chance and Weymouth saw out the final few minutes.

Goldberg’s team will need to regroup quickly ahead of their game next Saturday at home to runaway league leaders Wealdstone.

Welling United: Wilks, Rich-Baghuelou, Anderson, Dymond, Swaine, Okosieme, Cook, Rooney (Jebb 80), Oyinsan (Agyemang 30), Coombes (Cosgrave 70), McCallum. Subs not used: Green, Prestedge.