After a disappointing display on Saturday, Welling United manager Mark Goldberg made changes for their midweek home game against Eastbourne Borough.

Adam Coombes and Gavin McCallum were left out, Bradley Goldberg was injured and Sanchez Ming started a six match ban. Ejiro Okosieme came in for his Welling debut.

Chances were at a premium in the first half. The visitors were first to try their luck when Greg Luer chested down well but his shot was weak and Dan Wilks claimed it with ease.

Luke Rooney then had a shot deflected wide for Welling and from Anthony Cook’s corner, Nathan Green headed wide.

Former Wing Ian Gayle had to be replaced after just five minutes with Roberto Noiti replacing him but both teams struggled to create chances.

Joe Anderson hit a low drive that Tom Hadler got down and behind it to make the save then Anthony Cook struck a free kick wide of the far post.

At the other end James Ferry crossed for Luer but he made a mess of his header before Rob Swaine headed a Cook corner over for Welling.

Wilks had to be alert to claim a low Elliott Romain cross shot before Swaine was again off target with a header, this time from an Aaron Cosgrave cross.

Josh Oyinsan, still searching for his first goal, brought down a long ball well but his shot was deflected over.

Noiti had a lucky escape when he sliced Luke Rooney’s diagonal ball in just wide of his own post as the half came to a close.

Any hopes that the Welling supporters had of some more incisive attacking football proved unfounded. Ferry collected a half clearance and sent Romain into space but he drove wide of the post.

It looked like it would take a mistake for anyone to break the deadlock and Sports keeper Hadler almost paid for one. Having gone out wide to clear, he only found Green. Although forty yards out, he tried to find the far corner but it went the wrong side of the post with Hadler scrambling.

Luer created an opportunity for Ferry but he drove straight at Wilks then Welling substitute McCallum tried his luck from distance against his former club but Hadler made an easy save.

Roman got in behind but the angle was against him and he fired wide of the near post.

Ferry missed a great chance when his first time shot went wide from Kane Wills’ cross then Charlie Walker shot wide from close range from Tobi Adebayo-Rowling’s ball in.

Walker then had a near post shot well saved by Wilks before Welling almost nicked the three points in injury time. Okosieme’s shot only needed a slight deflection by McCallum and Hadler would have had real difficulties but it missed him completely and went beyond the far post.

Next Saturday Welling visit Weymouth before they return to Park View Road on Saturday September 14th when they entertain Wealdstone kicking off at 15:00.

Welling United: Wilks, Rich-Baghuelou, Anderson, Dymond, Swaine, Okosieme, Cook, Rooney, Oyinsan (Jebb 70), Cosgrave (Coombes 65), Green (McCallum 65). Subs not used: Prestedge, Agyemang.