In scorching heat, Welling United got the better of an entertaining game against Tonbridge Angels.

They started well and Adam Coombes had a free kick punched out by Jonathan Henly at full stretch.

At the other end Adam Yousuff made the most of some Welling defensive hesitancy by getting a shot away but he didn’t get a clean strike and Dan Wilks made an easy save.

Anthony Cook had a shot tipped over by Henly after a flowing Welling passing movement then Gavin McCallum headed over from Cook’s free kick.

Play was then delayed when referee Isaac Searle collapsed holding his leg. While he was getting treatment the players took advantage and took a drink.

Once play resumed, Welling went ahead. Adam Coombes put his defender under pressure before nicking it away. He then sent Bradley Goldberg through and he finished in style.

Sonny Miles sent a free kick over the bar, over the netting behind the goal, and over the road and into the grounds of the flats the other side.

Eight minutes after putting Welling ahead, Goldberg scored again. This time Cook found him and he turned well before firing brilliantly into the top corner.

Joseph Turner curled an effort over for the Angels from twenty yards before they pulled one back. Rob Swaine could only divert a free kick across his own goal and Yusuff reacted quickly to head home.

As the game went into injury time, Welling regained the lead. Cook sent in a deep free kick and Gavin McCallum stole in at the far post to smash home.

There was still time for further as Coombes burst into the penalty area and went down after clipping it past Henly. The Tonbridge goalkeeper took offence and put his head into Coombes’ face as the Welling striker was shown a yellow card.

After the break McCallum sent Cook away down the wing. He cut in and fired in a low cross shot that Henly was grateful to claim at the second attempt.

Coombes then had a fierce drive turned around the post after good work by Montel Agyemang before Tonbridge were presented with an opportunity. A pass from a drop ball, following an injury break, was picked up by Wilks and an indirect free kick was awarded inside the penalty area but the Angels were unable to take advantage.

Yusuff fired a free kick over before Welling made it four. Cook robbed a defender and burst all the way to the edge of the penalty area before slotting home clinically.

Welling then missed further chances first when Joshua Oyinsan had a shot pushed into the side netting then Aaron Cosgrave burst away but was unable to beat Henly.

Trickery by D’Sean Theobalds created space for him to shoot but he was unable to hit the target before Welling again came close. A goalmouth scramble involving Goldberg and Oyinsan ended when Henly saved well from the latter from point blank range.

Turner shot wide before Theobalds reduced the arrears with eight minutes remaining. He ran across the edge of the penalty area to create space to fire home.

Alex Bentley curled wide for the Angels before Welling came close one more time when Cosgrave went on a long run but Henly made another good save when tipping wide.

Next Saturday Welling visit Concord Rangers before they return to Park View Road on Tuesday 3rd September when they entertain Eastbourne Borough kicking off at 19:45.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Anderson, Prestedge, Swaine, Rich-Baghuelou, Cook (Cosgrave 69), Agyemang, Goldberg, Coombes (Oyinsan 69), McCallum (Green 65). Unused subs: Okosieme, Rooney.