Having looked to have had the game won, Welling United were frustrated when Chelmsford City snatched an injury time equaliser.

On a blistering hot day, Welling defended superbly and looked dangerous when attacking and appeared to have had the game won when Bradley Goldberg put the ahead late on but it wasn’t to be.

Jay Rich-Baghuelou had the first effort of the game but Carl Pentney saved comfortably. At the other end Oliver Muldoon’s deep corner found Chris Whelpdale but he fired over from a tight angle.

Anthony Cook won a good tackle in midfield and sent Bradley Goldberg away but he was brought down cynically on the edge of the penalty area. Adam Coombes took the free kick but fired well over.

Sam Higgins drove a free kick straight at Dan Wilkes then Whelpdale cut in and fired well over.

Wilks again saved from Higgins who flicked a header on from Muldoon’s free kick before Chelmsford attacked again in slightly controversial style. As Connor Dymond lay prone with what proved to be a dislocated shoulder, Chelmsford played on and Wilks made an excellent save from Whelpdale.

Before the corner could be taken, Dymond was stretchered off and Reece Prestedge introduced for his debut.

After the interval, Jonny Giles went on a long run but fired over.

Sanchez Ming then went on a great sprint down the right wing. Goldberg made a run inside taking the defence with him allowing Coombes to come in late but his shot was turned over brilliantly by Pentney.

Muldoon shot over for Chelmsford before Welling put together the best move of the game which included virtually every outfield player before Coombes fired low for Pentney to save.

Anthony Church headed wide before Welling came close to again. Goldberg played it out to Coombes and he came in from the left wing before cutting in and firing a shot that rattled the crossbar.

Once again, Pentney came to Chelmsford’s rescue when saving superbly from Aaron Cosgrave.

Rod Stringer then introduced Shaun Jeffers and he started to give the Welling defence different problems. First Wilks had to tip his header over from Giles’ cross then he headed over from a good centre by Adrian Cascaval.

He then had a header that clipped the bar before Welling broke the deadlock with six minutes remaining. Nathan Green threaded a ball between the two defenders and picked out Goldberg. He collected well and finished in style.

That looked like it was going to be enough but as the game moved into stoppage time, Jeffers shot was blocked and he followed up to beat Wilks with a shot that dribbled in.

Although disappointed, it was a good point ahead of their game with Tonbridge Angels on Bank Holiday Monday.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Anderson, Dymond (Prestedge 45), Swaine, Rich-Baghuelou, Cook (Cosgrave 68), Agyemang, Goldberg, Coombes, McCallum (Green 57). Subs not used: Okosieme, Oyinsan.