Following on from two good results, Welling United’s unbeaten start was ended with a defeat at home to Bath City.

Injury to Connor Dymond meant that Mark Goldberg had to make a change and Julien Anau was given a start.

However, Bath’s 4-3-3 in attack, and 4-2-3-1 in defence had Welling’s measure and they passed their way through the Welling midfield at will.

They came out quickly and had a couple of half chances before Adam Mann’s cross was just too high for Tyler Harvey and he could only head over.

Soon after Welling went behind when conceding a needless and poorly defended corner. Connor Riley-Lowe delivered and Joe Rayner’s header may have been going in but Alex Hartridge took no chances and finished at close range.

Bradley Goldberg had a header saved after Rob Swaine nodded on a free kick but Bath were soon on the attack again and Dan Wilks had to get down low to save from Harvey.

Adam Coombes came close when heading Luke Rooney’s free kick but James Pardington did well to tip it onto the bar ans over.

Soon after, Bath extended their lead. Andy Watkins got in behind Luke Rooney and when the Welling player attempted to atone, he mistimed his tackle and brought down his man in the penalty area. Harvey stepped up and sent Wilks the wrong way.

Harvey then headed a deep cross from Riley-Lowe over before shooting straight at Wilks when in a good position.

Tom Smith then found his way into the referee’s notebook for a bad challenge on Jay Rich-Baghuelou before Goldberg had a shot deflected over after head tennis in the penalty area.

Shortly before half time, Bath went three up when Harvey pulled back and Tom Richards fired home from the edge of the penalty area.

It might have been four but Tom Smith’s effort was deflected in first half injury time.

Julien Anau and Coombes were withdrawn at half time and Dquame Copeland and Joshua Oyinsan came on for their Welling league debuts but it was the visitors who were soon on the attack when Mann drew a save out of Wilks.

At the other end Oyinsan got on the end of a Sanchez Ming cross but his header was saved by Pardington.

Richards fired wide for Bath before Pardington went out wide to clear but could only pick out Goldberg. Fortunately, for the debutant Romans goalkeeper, his team-mates came to the rescue by crowding Goldberg out and stop him getting his shot away.

Another Richards shot went just wide before he had a shot beaten out by Wilks but Harvey, following up, could only bundle it wide.

Oyinsan did well to out muscle his marker but after spinning tightly, he fired well wide.

Wilks made a good diving hold from Harvey’s free kick before Aaron Cosgrave shot well over for the Wings.

Mann drew another save out of Wilks, then Riley-Lowe shot wide but it wasn’t all one way and Welling had an appeal for a penalty when Pardington brought Oyinsan down after he had clipped it past him.

In the closing stages Rooney’s shot was beaten out to Cosgrave whose effort was blocked bravely by Harvey Smith.

Gavin McCallum had the last effort but shot wide from distance.

Welling visit Billericay Town on Tuesday before they are back at Park View Road next Saturday when they entertain Oxford City at 15:00.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Anderson, Rooney, Swaine, Rich-Baghuelou, Cosgrave, Anau (Copeland 46), Goldberg (McCallum 74), Coombes (Oyinsan 46), Green. Unused subs: Okosieme, Agyemang.