Welling United picked up a solid point on the opening day of the new 2019/20 season at title favourites Havant & Waterlooville.

It was a gutsy performance from The Wings who were pinned back in their own half in the second half but they travelled back to North Kent with a point they would have surely taken pre game.

Andy Drury had the first chance of the game as he hit a half volley straight at Wilks in the Wings goal. Adam Coombes had the Wings first attempt on goal hitting a twenty five yard free kick straight at the Havant wall which deflected for a corner.

However in the eleventh minute Havant took the lead. Jonah Ayunga slotted a defence splitting ball into Roarie Deacon who beat Dan Wilks with a low shot from the angle.

Havant were on top and Nicky Bailey hit a ferocious free kick that went just over the bar from twenty yards out.

Finally, Welling started to come into the game and Bradley Goldberg did well to latch onto a mistake in the Havant defence before drawing the keeper out but he blazed over from an acute angle. Coombes then hit another free kick this time that beat the wall but Ross Worner was right behind it and gathered well. At the other end Ayunga from the edge of the area dragged an effort just wide.

In the thirty-fifth minute Welling had the ball in net when a deep cross was bundled in at the back post by Luke Rooney but he was adjudged to be offside. Just a minute later it was the turn of Havant to have a goal ruled out. Ayunga hit a low effort that Wilks kept out before Wes Fogden fired home the rebound but the flag was raised.

Five minutes after Welling’s disallowed goal they grabbed the equaliser. Great work by Goldberg saw him drive into the area before crossing for Coombes who coolly slotted past Worner from the penalty spot to open his account for the season.

Deacon had the last chance of the half but his effort was well blocked by the Welling defence.

The second half was a little bit more one way traffic as Havant applied more pressure to the Wings defence. Ayunga saw his cross come shot come off the crossbar with Wilks beaten. Wilks then did well to deny Ayunga from close range with his legs, before Fogden was foiled by Wilks with a smart save.

A dangerous cross by Anthony Straker just evaded Deacon in the Wings penalty area as Havant ramped up the pressure. #

On the hour mark Joe Anderson lost the ball cheaply allowing Josh Taylor to break into the area but somehow he fired wide. Deacon then fired wide for Havant as Welling struggled to retain possession when they did have the ball.

With the game entering its final ten minutes great play from Rooney saw him make space for a shot but he curled an effort just over. Havant sub Alfie Rutherford then saw a fierce free kick bravely deflected for a corner by the Welling wall.

Five minutes of time added on allowed Welling to venture forward in the hope of an unlikely winner. Anderson hit an effort that was deflected behind the post for a corner. Then in the final minute of injury time a deep cross into the area found Jebb but his volley at the back post was blocked away.

That was the last action of the game in which Welling will be more happy with the point than their hosts. Welling now host Kent Neighbours Maidstone United on Tuesday night at Park View Road 7.45pm Kick off.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Anderson, Dymond, Swaine, Rich-Baghuelou, Cosgrave, Rooney (Agyemang 84), Goldberg (Jebb 64), Coombes (Anau 73), Green. Unused substitutes: Copeland, Okosieme.