A first-half wonder-strike from Jiri Skalak and a Jake Cooper header either side of a Gillingham penalty ensured Millwall were victorious in their preseason friendly at Priestfield Stadium.

Skalak opened the scoring early on with a sublime right-footed effort and gifted the Lions the lead heading into the half-time break.

Despite a Gills equaliser arriving from the penalty spot, Cooper helped Millwall hit back immediately thanks to a Connor Mahoney corner.

The fixture was Millwall’s first back on English soil following their annual preseason training camp in Portugal, with a trip to Southend United coming up next in midweek.

Neil Harris granted minutes to new arrivals Mahoney, Matt Smith and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson in the trip to Gillingham whilst resting a host of first-team players.

Following yesterday’s comfortable win against Charlton in a weekend double-header, it was no surprise Gillingham started the sharper of the two sides. Callum Reilly stung the palms of Fielding from the edge of the area on five minutes.

But Ryan Leonard’s searching ball over the top found Skalak, who timed it perfectly to rifle in a half volley on 16 minutes for the lead.

The Lions smelled blood and grew in confidence, with Gills goalkeeper Joe Walsh pulling off a superb triple save to deny Smith and then Shaun Williams.

With Bodvarsson replacing Smith at the break, Harris altered his side’s style of play to accommodate the oncoming substitute.

But in the second half Mahlon Romeo handed the hosts a lifeline when he shoved an unnamed trialist in the back inside the penalty area, a spot-kick he would duly convert on 54 minutes.

Despite the setback, Millwall responded instantly. A Mahoney corner was converted by Cooper’s darting header just two minutes removed from the Gills’ equaliser.

Gillingham tested Fielding once more when Mark Byrne was through on goal, with the former Bristol City shot stopper spreading himself to deny a shot which appeared destined for the back of the net.

But amid a host of changes on the hour, the visitors remained in control of the match to see out the victory.