Charlton’s youngsters shone as the Addicks recorded their first win of the preseason against Welling United.

Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu opened the scoring before fellow teenager Abraham Odoh doubled their lead to give them a healthy advantage heading into the half-time break.

It’s Charlton’s first 90-minute fixture since their friendly with Gaz Metan Medias was abandoned, with a trip to Ebbsfleet United coming next.

Macauley Bonne, who missed the friendly in Spain last week, was handed his first start in the opening 45 minutes since joining from Leyton Orient.

Charlton wasted little time in trying to get off the mark as Welling defender Rob Swaine vitally denied Odoh from scoring on 11 minutes.

Adam Coombes would drag his effort wide of the target but, soon enough, the Addicks were in front.

A superb cross-field pass from Naby Sarr found Sarpong-Wiredu, 19, who would find the net on 14 minutes with solid finish.

And the youth academy product threatened to get a second when his diving header from an Albie Morgan free-kick flashed just over the crossbar.

But after Ben Dempsey went close, Welling went even further behind. Odoh, also 19, nipped the ball off a defender before excellently finishing a one-on-one on 34 minutes.

Bowyer’s changes at the interval meant fans would get a glimpse of new arrival Chuks Aneke play up top with last year’s leading scorer Lyle Taylor.

And Taylor, who bagged 25 goals in all competitions last campaign, nearly got on the scoresheet himself when he rattled the crossbar from close in.

But other than a few early chances the second half was a much quieter affair. Ben Purrington narrowly missed the target before Jake Forster-Caskey was superbly denied by goalkeeper Dan Wilks.

It wasn’t until the late stages of the game that Welling would have one of their best chances through a Jack Jebb set-piece, only for Ashley Maynard-Brewer to pluck it from out of the air.

And Anthony Cook, who played the full game, twice had chances in the final few minutes to grab a consolation goal.