Although there was still a chance of claiming second place in the league and third place was not guaranteed, Welling United put in their worst performance of the season at East Thurrock United.

Steve King elected to make six changes to the starting line-up that had played on Good Friday and also changed the formation from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3.

After a quiet start, Welling had the first goal attempt when Luke Rooney picked out Caden Genovesi. He looped in a cross that Mo Bettamer met but he couldn’t get any power in his header and Jack Giddens saved easily.

In their first attack of note, East Thurrock went ahead. A corner caused havoc and after two shots were blocked, Sam Higgins fired home from close range.

Arnaud Mendy sent over a good cross-field pass that Josh Hill headed back across the face of goal. Despite being held back, Bradley Goldberg managed to get a shot in and Giddens saved well.

Bettamer had another attempt when meeting a Zack Newton cross but his header was again saved comfortably.

Rooney’s dead ball deliveries caused problems and Steve Sheehan was pleased to see a header from a free kick fly over his own bar but nothing came of the resultant corner.

Higgins again showed his pedigree with a superb cross and Dobson lost his marker but failed to hit the target at the far post.

Again Bettamer had a chance when he controlled a deep cross on the far side and cut in but the ball was caught under his feet and Giddens made another easy save.

Once more Higgins was in the action and another fantastic cross-field ball found Alex Osborn but he failed to get his shot away.

When a Welling corner was knocked out, Newton came onto it and let fly from thirty-five yards but he caught it too well and it went straight at Giddens who made the save.

Veteran Higgins made it two soon after when Osborn pulled it back to the Rocks’ hit-man and his clean strike gave Dan Wilks no chance.

Sportsmanship then took a back seat as Reece Dobson went down injured. An East Thurrock player went down injured and when play restarted Sanchez Ming threw the ball to Ibrahim Sori-Diallo expecting him to send it back to his goalkeeper. Instead he launched a long ball forward for Higgins to chase but fortunately it came to nothing.

Deep into first half injury time, Welling dragged themselves back into the game. Newton had a shot blocked. It came out to Goldberg and he fired across the face of goal for Bettamer to bundle home at the far post.

Any hopes that Welling had of getting back into the game were ended two minutes into the second half. Dan Wilks tried to find Newton but Jon Nzengo intercepted and played a one-two with Sheehan before bursting clear and firing into the bottom corner from twenty yards.

Former Wing Harry Lee, who had come on as a half time substitute, then hit a long range effort that was deflected over before his delivery hit Danny Harris on the head and flew over.

Goldberg had a header well saved by Giddens from a Sanchez Ming cross before the Dulwich loanee returned to defensive duties and got in ahead of Harris to clear a dangerous Higgins cross.

Osborn was unable to finish for the hosts from a long ball forward before Newton’s fierce drive went wide for Welling.

Montel Agyemang’s corner was flicked on by Bettamer but Genovesi’s volley skimmed the roof of the net.

Ryan Scott had a shot kept out by the feet of Wilks at the other end but he had no chance with the Rocks’ fourth in injury time. Having saved Higgins initial effort Harris followed up to set up Rickie Hayles for a close range finish.

Results elsewhere meant that Welling will finish the season in third place and East Thurrock are still relegated,

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Genovesi, Mendy (Anau 58), Hill, Orlu, Agyemang, Rooney (Kiernan 58), Bettamer, Goldberg, Newton. Subs not used: Braham-Barrett, Mills, Audel.