Charlton produced a stunning second half display to beat league leaders Luton Town 3-1 and keep their slim hopes of a top two finish alive.

A second half Lyle Taylor brace and an Igor Vetokele strike cancelled out Harry Cornick’s first half effort as Lee Bowyer’s men saw off Mick Harford’s outfit.

Andrew Shinnie was dismissed late on for the visitors as the Addicks continued their pursuit of gate-crashing the promotion party.

Bright Start

Charlton started brightly and dominated possession without any real threat, leaving Luton with the counter as their only option.

When the counter did come on 15 minutes, they were clinical.

With Ben Purrington caught in possession high-up the pitch allowed Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu to charge up-field before sliding in Cornick who expertly dispatched from 15-yards.

Luton nearly doubled their lead but Dillon Phillips pulled off a great save, tipping over from George Moncur to keep the Addicks’ in the game.

The save sparked the home fans into life and the players responded in kind.

Taylor should’ve levelled on 25minutes after Vetokele capitalised on a defensive slip on the half-way to square the ball to his strike partner.

Under heavy pressure from Town skipper Sonny Bradley the striker saw his effort from ten yards strike the bar but it was a warning to the visitors.

With their tails-up the spritely Vetokele was upended by Town keeper James Shea after beating the stopper to a Phillips long ball.

Referee Gavin Ward produced a yellow, where most would think red would’ve been more apt.

On The Spot

The second was barely a minute old before referee Ward was called into action again.

Jonny Williams looked to have nipped in front of Jack Stacey inside the box before being felled, Ward waived play-on much to the disbelief of an irate Bowyer on the sideline.

Seven minutes later he did point to the spot, this time adjudging that Taylor was illegally brought down by Bradley from a throw-in, it looked soft at first glance.

Taylor made no-mistake from 12-yards despite a questionable run-up.

The equaliser buoyed the home side and they looked a team possessed.

Vetokele, who missed a great chance minutes earlier, gave the Addicks a deserved lead on 70 minutes when he slotted past Shea after being superbly set through by another rampaging Krystian Bielik through ball.

It was three soon after, with Vetokele turning provider as his sumptuous cross was put on a plate for Taylor to grab a second.

With the game won, Shinnie was shown his second yellow card for a foul on Williams but the victory party in The Valley was already underway.

Key Moment:

James Shea could’ve easily been dismissed for his foul on Igor Vetokele in the first half, but referee Gavin Ward produced a yellow. This seemed to galvanise the home side and their fans, and from then on in, they looked a team possessed.

Man of The Match:

Krystian Bielik – Vetokele could’ve got it for his second half performance but for keeping the Addicks in the fight in the first half Bielik gets the nod. A great through ball for Vetokele’s goal put the home side on their way as his endless tackling, intercepting and reading of the play led Bowyer’s men to victory.


Charlton: Phillips, Solly, Bauer, Sarr, Purrington, Williams, Bielik (Pratley 85’), Cullen, Aribo, Vetoklele (Lapslie 76’), Taylor

Subs: Maxwell, Dijksteel, Pearce, Parker, Reeves, Pratley, Lapslie

Luton Town: Shea, Justin, Bradley, Pearson, Stacey, Berry, Lee, Shinnie, Cornick (Connolly 68’), Ruddock Mpanzu, Moncur

Subs: Isted, Baptiste, Connolly, Cummings, Thorne, Sheehan, Panter

Attendance: 16,449 (3,144 -away)