Having gone twenty-nine years since last winning the London Senior Cup, Welling United dug deep to claim a deserved one-nil victory against Brentford B at Wingate and Finchley.

Although the Vanarama National South play-offs have been Welling’s priority all season, the players on the fringes of Welling’s first team showed that they have just as much desire and will give manager Steve King plenty of food for thought.

He made eight changes from the team that started against Bath City and it was one of the three who remained in the first team, goalkeeper Dan Wilks, who was first to be called into action when making a good save from Joe Hardy after Theo Archibald had got in behind.

Josh Hill had Welling’s first chance with a header that went wide from Luke Rooney’s free kick then Jan Zamburek spotted Wilks off his line and went for goal from just inside the Welling half but it flew over.

Nassim L’Ghoul and Craig Braham-Barrett linked well to create space for Rooney to cross but Mo Bettamer headed wide then a long range effort from Archibald failed to bother Wilks.

Patrik Gunnarsson claimed a dangerous Montel Agyemang cross well with Richard Orlu waiting to pounce before Hardy’s angled shot went the wrong side of the post for the Bees.

Five minutes from the break, Braham-Barrett playing on the other side from his normal left-back position slung in an excellent cross. Bettamer got on the end of it but his header came down off the underside of the bar. He followed up and his second header flew in just under the bar.

Wilks then made an outstanding double save just before the break. Fredrik Hammar’s powerful drive was beaten out by Welling’s number one. Hardy followed up with a volley but Wilks was quickly into position and held the shot well.

After the break, Agyemang and Rooney got forward well, protected by the commanding Arnaud Mendy, and Rooney’s shot was deflected over. Then the industrious Zack Newton found Rooney who held off a couple of tackles before prodding towards the corner but Gunnarsson dived to save.

Brentford then had a lot of possession in their half and beyond but Welling were well disciplined and kept them well at bay.

Substitute Brendan Kiernan had an opportunity for Welling on the break. Orlu headed forward, Bettamer flicked it on and Kiernan let fly but was unable to hit the target.

As the game moved into the final ten minutes, Brentford tried to up the pace but their only half chance came when Henrik Johansson shot across the face of goal with Hardy just unable to get on to it at the far post.

Caden Genovesi made a brave block from Matej Majka and Hardy’s rebound shot was charged down by Orlu.

Five additional minutes were played but Wilks wasn’t troubled again and captain David Ijaha, who came on for Mendy with one minute remaining, lifted the cup aloft.

Welling United: Wilks, Braham-Barrett, Genovesi, Mendy (Ijaha 89), Hill, Orlu, Rooney, Agyemang, Bettamer, L’Ghoul (Kiernan 70), Newton. Subs not used: Quebe, Mendez. Audel.