Once again Welling United showed their never-say-die attitude to claim victory over fellow play-off hopefuls Bath City.

Thierry Audel returned from injury to replace Richard Orlu and Craig Braham-Barretrt came in for Caden Genovesi as Steve King rotated the squad.

Audel made an almost immediate impression by scoring in the second minute. Welling were presented with a free kick for a wild challenge on Brendan Kiernan that earned Jack Batten a lecture. Gavin McCallum delivered a deep free kick, Anthony Acheampong headed back and Audel hooked home.

Tom Smith fired well over from a long way out for Bath before Welling had their next dead-ball opportunity. McCallum delivered but Arnaud Mendy headed wide.

Sean Rigg scuffed a shot for Bath before Joe Raynes had an effort that Dan Wilks held well.

Mendy sent Kiernan away and he ran into a good position before firing wide

McCallum them had a shot saved after feeding onto a shot from Bradley Goldberg was blocked into his path.

Wilks made a good save from Freddie Hinds before making an easier one from the soon player soon after.

Craig Braham-Barrett fired across the face of goal before Danny Mills somehow got a shot in that Ryan Clarke could only turn away.

Hinds had another shot saved comfortably by Wilks before Smith launched an effort into the park.

Andy Watkins brought a long cross down well early in the second half but Wilks saved his shot easily before Clarke made a good low save from McCallum.

Goldberg was next to be thwarted for Welling after good work by Mills however, just shy of the hour mark Bath levelled.

Kevin Amankwaah sent over a deep cross and Rigg lost his marker to power home a close range header.

King made a double change introducing Mo Bettamer and Julien Anau for Goldberg and McCallum and the latter instigated Welling’s next chance when finding Kiernan on the left wing. He pulled back to Mills who spun well but shot well over.

Adam Mann shot just beyond the angle of bar and post from thirty yards before Welling created a great chance. Kiernan’s clever flick was right into the path of Bettemar but he drove first time wide.

Wilks was called upon to make a full length save from Smith’s drive towards the bottom corner.

That save proved vital as in Welling’s next attack they scored the winner. Anau split the defence with a brilliant through ball. Mills controlled it with an exquisite first touch which allowed him to hold off his marker and with his next touch he slotted it beyond Clarke.

Having gone ahead late there was still time for Welling to have a scare. Wilks made a mess of a cross and it fell for Mann but a defender got across to block his shot up onto the crossbar and out.

The win leaves Welling five points behind second placed Woking and four points ahead of fourth placed Chelmsford City with four games remaining.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Braham-Barrett, Mendy, Audel, Acheampong, Kiernan, Ijaha, Mills (Rooney 90+), Goldberg (Bettamer 67), McCallum (Anau 67). Subs not used: Orlu, Genovesi.