One week earlier, Welling United dug deep on their travels to claim a one-nil victory and on Saturday they repeated the feat.

On a very bumpy Gloucester City pitch, Welling created the better of the opportunities and deserved the three points but they had to work hard for them.

In a scrappy first half Gloucester had the first goal attempt but one time Welling target Fabien Robert fired well over from thirty yards after a free kick had been cleared.

Will Henry saved a Danny Mills header but had it gone in it wouldn’t have stood as an offside flag had been raised.

Robert then side-footed wide from a training ground free kick routine as Gloucester tried to impose themselves however, after Joe Parker’s long low free kick evaded everyone other than Dan Wilks, Welling looked the more dangerous.

Sam Avery was cautioned for a nasty challenge on Brendan Kiernan and from Gavin McCallum’s free kick Anthony Acheampong powered in a header that was well tipped over by Henry. McCallum took the corner and picked out Richard Orlu but he headed over.

Another attack was started by Sanchez Ming when he intercepted a loose clearance and he found Arnaud Mendy. He then laid it back to Kiernan but he shot well off target.

Mendy chipped another good ball in and Mills met it with a powerful header that brought an excellent save out of Henry.

Again, a McCallum corner picked out Orlu, but again he headed over much to his disappointment.

As the first half came to a close Dejon Noel-Williams thought that he was clear but Orlu came across to make the block.

Chances were few and far between after the interval. Noel-Williams got into a good position for the Tigers but fired over then Bradley Goldberg let fly for Welling but his shot hit team-mate Mills.

That was the end of the action for Goldberg as he was withdrawn to be replaced by Welling debutant Mohammed Bettamer.

Kiernan had a shot blocked and it came out to Bettamer but his fierce drive was also blocked as Gloucester looked to hold firm.

However, they did create a few half chances of their own and Orlu did well to head s teasing cross over his own goal.

Robert then tried his luck with a long shot but there was no power in it and Wilks saved easily.

Eighty-four minutes were on the clock when the stale-mate was broken. McCallum put in another excellent corner and Acheampong wanted it most and powered home his header from close range.

It might have been two moments later when Kiernan burst through but Henry got down well to make an excellent low save.

Spencer Hamilton almost claimed an unlikely equaliser deep into injury time but Wilks stood up well to block his shot at the near post.

Victory for Welling left them in third place and in good shape for their assault on the play-offs.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Genovesi, Ijaha, Acheampong, Orlu, Kiernan (Braham-Barrett 88), Mendy (Anau 46), Mills, Goldberg (Bettamer 64), McCallum. Subs not used: Rooney, Newton.