Having not won a league game on the road since late September, Welling United travelled to Oxford City looking to end the run.

After an open first fifteen minutes, Steve King’s team were the better team and should probably won by more than the one goal.

Kyran Wiltshire volleyed wide from the edge of the area for Oxford before David Ijaha was just off target at the other end.

Brandon Thomas-Asante’s long shot was saved by Dan Wilks before he was again called into action. A goalmouth scramble ended with a snapshot by Kabongo Tshimanga that drew an excellent save out of Wilks.

Tshimanga chased a long ball over the top and tried a first time flick but Wilks got down quickly to save before he was called upon to make another good save, this time from Thomas-Asante.

Having weathered the storm Welling started to enjoy more of the game and went ahead in the twentieth minute. Danny Mills broke into the penalty area and was brought down by Eddie Jones. Bradley Goldberg stepped up and smashed his spot kick into the roof of the net.

Arnaud Mendy had a shot deflected wide for Welling before Wilks again thwarted Tshimanga when pushing his shot out wide. Reece Fleet was first to the rebound but launched his shot high and wide from an unfavourable angle.

It was then Craig King’s turn to make a good save. Jack Barham played Mills in and he pulled back to Montel Agyemang. He looked to steer it into the bottom corner but King was down well to save.

Craig Braham-Barrett’s misdirected cross almost caught King out but he recovered to tip over for a corner and Mills headed Agyemang’s delivery over.

Barham then sent over a cross that Mills headed goal-wards but King made a comfortable save.

After the break, Joe Oastler headed well off target before Welling came close four times.

First Anthony Acheampong had a header cleared off the line by Zac McEachran.

Next Jack Barham turned cleverly to make a chance for himself but his shot from outside the area hit the post and came out.

Agyeamang then sent in a free that was touched on by Goldberg but that effort came back off the inside of the post.

Then Jordan Gibbons sent in a cross that Mills touched on but it flicked the outside of the post on its way out.

Fleet hit a long range shot the Wilks got behind to save well before Welling were on the attack again and they had a big appeal for a penalty when Gavin McCallum’s misdirected shot appeared to hit a defender’s arm.

Chinedu Vine then hit a shot into the side netting before Barham again came close. Having sped down the left wing, he came back,cut in and fired a low shot towards the bottom corner. King got down well to finger-tip away although the referee thought otherwise when awarding a goal kick.

In the closing minutes Mills had a header from a Thierry Audel cross saved by King before Welling blotted their copy book in injury time when Wings manager Steve King made a comment towards the referee and was sent off.

Welling United: Wilks, Gibbons, Braham-Barrett, Ijaha, Audel, Acheampong, Barham, Mendy, Mills, Goldberg (Kiernan 69), Agyemang (McCallum 69). Subs not used: Orlu.