Karlan Grant’s injury time penalty gave Lee Bowyer a priceless 1-0 victory over Accrington Stanley and will soften the blow of losing Lyle Taylor for up to three matches following his dismissal.

Grants 93rd minute penalty in a game of few chances kept The Addicks bid for promotion on course as both sides finished the game with ten men as Accrington keeper Jonny Maxted was dismissed along with Taylor on 80minutes.

Grants 14th of the season leaves Bowyer’s men in fourth position, four points off the top spot.

Slow Start

Charlton started slowly and it wasn’t until ten minutes they had any real possession.

Josh Cullen, on his return to the side following injury, pulling the strings to release Taylor whose dangerous low cross somehow went untouched across the face of goal.

The home side settled as Williams, Grant and Taylor started to combine well in the attacking third.

Down the right they had most luck as they targeted left-back Liam Gibson.

Another cross went begging across the face of goal as Grant showed Gibson a clean pair of heels before seeing his delivery go inches away from connecting with the oncoming Taylor.

Stanley did muster one chance. And they should’ve scored.

A knock down from Kee released Armstrong who, eight yards out couldn’t beat the oncoming Dillon Phillips in goal who stood tall before collecting at the striker’s feet.

A real confidence booster for the shot stopper looking to keep out new signing Chris Maxwell.

More of the Same

A clear tactic in the second half was to go down the right again. Taylor put in a couple of early dangerous crosses that again were inches from opening the scoring.

Left back Ben Purrington brought a great save out of Jonny Maxted. Arriving late at the back post the loan signing nearly opened his account but he saw his header parried clear by the outstretched Maxted.

Not to be outdone, Phillips responded with a finer save, denying Armstrong he tipped the ball over as the strikers header looked destined to drop under the bar.

As Taylor and Grant both had efforts that drifted wide from close range you sensed desperation creeping in amongst the fans. And the payers, specifically Taylor.

READ:Charlton 1-0 Accrington - Player ratings


A corner on 80 minutes saw Taylor adjudged to have fouled Maxted before a melee broke out involving 18-men.

After deliberating with his assistant, Taylor and Maxted were both given their marching orders much to the disbelief of the Charlton striker.

As the game petered out, substitute Ben Reeves' cross allegedly struck the arm of Sam Finlay and after consulting his assistant again, John Busby pointed to the spot before Grant slotted to give the Addicks a priceless three points.

As the referee blew for full time an ecstatic Valley erupted, and with it the opposition as the melee continued down the players tunnel.