Bromley 4-2 Aylesbury United (aet)

BROMLEY needed extra-time to see off their British Gas Southern League Midland Division opponents in this second qualifying FA Cup replay at Hayes Lane on Tuesday evening.

However, it was a very close call as Aylesbury United led twice during the 90 minutes and probably deserved to win, but an 86th minute penalty saved the day for the Hayes Lane Club and their superior fitness told in the extra half hour.

The home side had the first effort on goal after three minutes when Sam Wood won a corner and Garath McCleary's deadball kick was headed over by Ben Judge.

On 14 minutes, McCleary missed a good opportunity when his shot on the run sailed over the crossbar and four minutes later, Wood sliced a shot wide from a good position.

Peter Adeniyi shot wildly over after Gareth Williams had set him up as Bromley had the better of the opening stages.

But Aylesbury gradually came back into the game and a warning for Bromley came on 28 minutes when a fierce shot from Ross Taylor was scrambled around the post by Andy Walker.

From the resulting corner, Kevin Meoling's bullet header sailed wide of the post.

Taylor crashed a full-blooded drive against the inside of the far post three minutes later with Walker well beaten before Aylesbury went ahead on 33 minutes.

With their tails up, Bromley's cumbersome defence failed to get to grips with a cross and Ben Stevens lifted over the out coming Walker.

The visitors enjoyed the best of the exchanges up to half-time and were unlucky not to increase their lead on 43 minutes.

A quickly taken free-kick was knocked down in the six-yard box, but Simon Glover made a brilliant tackle to concede a corner.

From the corner the ball skidded through to Walker, who made a good stop low down at the far post.

A bad-headed clearance by Francis Duku went straight to Nathan Graham on the stroke of the interval, who looped a header over Walker, but Simon Clark was on the line to clear to safety.

The introduction of Ali Chaaban at half-time to replace the ineffective Junior Kadi had little effect, but Bromley still started the second half positively.

Williams was denied by goalkeeper Tom Vincent, who moved smartly to block the Bromley striker's shot following good work by Clark.

The equaliser came on 61 minutes when a long clearance by Walker picked out McCleary on the halfway line.

He set off on a run holding off the challenge of three defenders before unleashing a low shot into the corner of the net from just outside the penalty area.

Vincent then denied Adeniyi with a block before Adeniyi blazed over after Williams had set him up following a penetrating run by McCleary.

Sandwiched in between these two chances, Taylor had a free header at the other end which went over the crossbar.

Williams was denied by Vincent again and Chaaban should have done better on 83 minutes when, with only the goalkeeper to beat, he somehow managed to chip over the bar.

Aylesbury went ahead for the second time on 84 minutes.

Following a quick break, slack marking in a disorganised defence allowed Taylor to score from close range at the left hand post.

But the lead was short lived as Bromley levelled once again in their next attack.

On 86 minutes Williams, who turned his marker in the penalty area, had his legs whipped from beneath him and Adeniyi converted with a firm kick to the relief of the Bromley faithful.

In extra-time the visitors visibly faded and Bromley took the lead in the 98th minute. Clark broke down the right before crossing to the far post where Williams touched the ball to Bobby Bowry, who scored from close range.

Bromley completed the victory on 115 minutes when Bowry jinked the ball to Adeniyi and his precision cross to Williams allowed him to take one touch before crashing home from 10 yards.

Bromley now meet local rivals Dartford in the next round on October 13, kick-off 1pm.

Bromley: Walker, Clark (Hedley 115), Glover, Bowry, Duku, Judge, Adeniyi, Kadi (Chaaban 45), Williams, McCleary (Henriques 102) Wood. Subs not used: Hockton, Doughlin. Att: 346