Defeat at Torquay United and results elsewhere meant that Welling United dropped to fourth in the Vanarama National League South.

On a very heavy pitch the hosts were far more clinical in the final third to earn their victory.

They demonstrated that with less than three minutes on the board when Jake Andrews fired low into the bottom corner from twenty yards.

Also demonstrated early on was the referee’s lack of interest in punishing clear offences, an example being when long after his whistle had blown for a foul, Connor Lemonheigh-Evans kicked the ball 80 yards away but was warned but not cautioned.

As Welling looked to recover they conceded again. Jamie Reid sent Saikou Janneh away and he finished first time with a fierce shot into the bottom corner from twenty yards.

In the aftermath, Reid threw Danny McNamara to the ground in front of the referee but after speaking to both players he took no further action.

Refusing to lie down, Welling came back and following a goalmouth scramble a Danny Mills shot clipped the outside of the post.

Bradley Goldberg had a shot saved by Shaun McDonald before another good Torquay move opened up the Welling defence again and Dan Wilks made an excellent save from Jamie Reid.

Andrews clipped an effort just wide after being set up by Rauiri Keaton but the latter escaped with a yellow card for an awful challenge on Craig Braham-Barrett just before the interval. 

Eight second half minutes had passed when Torquay added a third. Janneh’s initial shot was well saved by Wilks but it came out as far as Jean-Yves Koue Niate and he made no mistake with the follow up.

It wasn’t all plain sailing for the hosts though and Welling reduced the arrears on the hour. Mills beat the offside trap and burst through only for MacDonald to bring him down as he looked to slot home. Goldberg stepped up and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way. He then attempted to retrieve the ball to return it quickly but already cautioned MacDonald hoofed it away to delay the re-start.

Looking to regain their three goal advantage, Reid got in behind the Welling defence and drew a great save out of Wilks. His next effort was again on target but this time Wilks saved easily.

Substitute Asa Hall had a shot deflected wide before Welling came close to causing Torquay a jittery ending, Gavin McCallum’s corner deceived MacDonald and crashed back int play foo the crossbar.

Jammah got in again for Torquay but fired straight at Wilks before a McCallum free kick was held at the other end by MacDonald.

There was to be no comeback for Welling and the final chance fell to the feet of Lemonheigh-Evans but once again, Wilks came to the rescue with a save.

Steve King, Welling’s manager, will be looking for a quick reaction when his team visit Hampton and Redbridge next Saturday

Welling United: Wilks, McNamara, Braham-Barrett (McCallum 46), Ijaha, Orlu, Audel, Kiernan (Paterson 80), Mendy, Mills, Goldberg, L’Ghoul (Kissock 66). Subs not used: Hill, Newton.