Aylesbury United 1-1 Bromley

BROMLEY struggled to find any form in their FA Cup second qualifying round tie against Aylesbury United on Sunday.

It is probably fair to say this was probably the worst performance since Mark Goldberg took over as manager at the start of last season.

Injuries to key players played a huge part as Bromley were without the services of Barry Moore through suspension with Mark Corneille, Nic McDonnell and Tutu Henriques all on the treatment table.

They were further depleted as Steve Clark and Danny Hockton were both replaced on the half hour mark sustaining further injuries.

The first half was a very scrappy affair punctuated by many free-kicks, the majority of which were conceded by Aylesbury, and a very bumpy pitch did not help matters either.

It was from one of these free-kicks in the third minute that Gareth Williams flashed past the angle of the post and crossbar, but this was the closest Bromley came until they opened the scoring in the 18th minute.

The visitors went ahead following an intricate passing movement involving Bobby Bowry, Gareth McCleary and Williams, with Williams eventually getting past two defenders before crossing hard and low into the six-yard box.

Aylesbury's goalkeeper could not hold the cross and knocked the ball out to the unmarked Sam Wood, who crashed it home high into the top of the net.

Some robust tackling by the home side saw Clark leave the field with concussion on 29 minutes, and two minutes later, Hockton departed with a suspected groin injury.

Ali Chaaban and Junior Kadi replaced the departing pair.

Aylesbury offered very little up front and Bromley had most of the play.

They were unlucky not to increase their lead on 35 minutes when Tom Vincent, Aylesbury's goalkeeper, just beat McCleary to the ball from Peter Adeniyi's clever defence-splitting pass.

Wood blazed the high and wide as half-time approached and the Lillies only had a one goal advantage to take into the break.

A snapshot by Williams on 48 minutes was just wide of the target, but Aylesbury were enjoying a little more of the play in the early stages of the second half.

A rasping shot from Aylesbury's Ben Stevens on 52 minutes was heading for the top corner of the net, but at the last moment it hit an Aylesbury player and went over the bar for a goal kick.

Following a quick break by Bromley, Chaaban's shot came back off the goalkeeper to Williams, but before he could react he was crowded out by three defenders, who eventually cleared the danger up field.

Another break by Bromley in the 77th minute saw McCleary backtrack instead of crossing to the unmarked Williams.

The Lillies had a good penalty appeal turned down one minute later when Chaaban seemed to have his foot taken from under him.

While Bromley were still appealing, a long clearance up field found Roni Joe, who outpaced his marker to place a firm low shot past Walker's right hand to level the scores.

Joe then sent a fierce free-kick past the post, but it would have been an injustice if this had found the back of the net.

The two teams must now replay at Hayes Lane this evening to earn a home tie against either Dartford or Camberley.

Meanwhile, Bromley's Setanta Shield first round tie scheduled for tonight will now have to be rearranged, provisionally to October 9.

Bromley: Walker, Clark (Kadi), Glover, Bowry, Duku, Judge, P.Adeniyi, McCleary, Williams, Hockton (Chaaban 29), Wood. Subs not used: Corneille, Hedley, J.Adeniyi. Att: 406