Charlton Athletics’ FA Cup run was halted by Doncaster Rovers as two goals from set pieces saw the visitors go into the third round.

Sloppy defending saw Doncaster take the lead through Andrew Butler as his headed effort found the back of the net on 66 minutes. They soon doubled their lead ten minutes later when John Marquis headed in from close range.

The Addicks came into the fixture on the back of four straight victories and as a result manager Lee Bowyer used the match as a chance to rest his squad and give minutes to those in need.

READ: Charlton's Christmas Calendar: Day 1, Number 1

The line-up witnessed wholesale changes as Bowyer opted for nine changes from the squad who beat Burton Albion on Tuesday night.

Doncaster dominated possession in the opening quarter but It was the Addicks who created the best chances due to their pacey attack on the counter. The first clear cut chance came when Lapsie run to the by line and drilled the ball in low into the six yard box. Hackett-Fairchild found it and flicked it goalward for only Goalkeeper Ian Lawlor to clear collect.

On the 11th minute Charlton proved their counter attacking abilities again. Lapsie whipped in a deep cross which found Nicky Ajose at the far post, he caressed it down for Billy Clarke who volleyed it towards goal but the effort was cleared off the line.

The rest of the second half witnessed Charlton grow into the game and turn the table by keeping the ball in the visitors half. However, the Addicks were unable to draw blood from Doncaster as the only eventful moment came when Mark Marshall knocked the ball round Andrews and then beat the him for pace despite him having to make up around four yards to break even with the full-back.

Doncaster came out for the second half rejuvenated. Good link up play on the edge of the box put in Alfie May in behind. His low cross would have been bundled into the net if it wasn’t for a moment of good goalkeeping from Dillon Phillips who dived down to stop the cross dead in its tracks.

The Donny’s finally broke the deadlock in the 66th minute from a corner. Andrew Butler rose tallest and headed the ball towards goal. The ball smacked Mark Marshall on its way in which wrong footed Dillon Phillips and prevented him from making a save.

Doncaster added a second ten minutes later. This time it was a deep free-kick which unravelled Charlton’s defence. Andrews got on the end of it and headed back across goal for ex-Millwall striker, John Marquis to nod in from close range.

Now shaken up, the Addicks attempted to get back into the game in the dying minutes. Mark Marshall’s curling effort from the edge of the area was only a half a yard away from finding the bottom corner.

The defeat sees Charlton fail to make the third round of the FA Cup, which would now see the team on concentrate on maintaining their league form and cement their place in the play-offs.