Bromley’s chances of making club history were dashed in a minute of madness at a sold out Hayes Lane.

A red card and a goal moments before half time put an end to The Ravens attempts of beating Football League opposition in the FA Cup for the first time.

The Posh started brightly and pushed for an early break through.

George Cooper fired a free kick just over and then saw another shot deflected wide.

Bromley gradually found their feet and had a good spell of their own with Frankie Raymond having a shot tipped wide by Aaron Chapman.

Steve Evans’ side rallied again from there with Joe Ward and Jason Cummings going close, before Matt Godden had a header saved by David Gregory.

The Bromley keep was then on hand to save again soon after, bravely gathering at the feet of Godden to halt his strong run.

Bromley nearly went in front from a counter attack when Bugeil had a shot cleared off the line by Ryan Tafazolli.

Bromley took the lead ten minutes before the break when a deep Frankie Sutherland free kick from the left was headed in by Roger Johnson.

Neil Smith’s side looked to be taking the lead in to half time until a moment of madness occurred.

After committing a foul Frankie Raymond refused to release the ball and as Cooper tried to free the ball from his grasp the Peterborough man fell to the floor claiming an elbow.

Referee Kevin Johnson showed the Bromley midfielder a red card.

It went from bad to worse for the home side, the resulting free kick caught The Ravens back line flat footed and as they appealed for offside Godden smashed the ball home out to level the scores at the break.

Godden got his second goal on 55 minutes as he coolly swept home a cross from Jason Naismith from ten yards.

With Bromley dropping deeper, Posh pushed for a third. Thanks to Gregory in goal the game stayed in the balance as he made a handful of saves.

Smith gave a debut to academy striker Billy Craske in attempt to get an equaliser and the youngster nearly did just that.

He got on the end of John Goddard ball on the edge of the box, but could not find the target and sent his effort over.

With six minutes remaining as Bromley pressed for an unlikely equaliser, Peterborough killed the game when a quick break up field ended with Ward driving the ball home for 3-1.

Smith's men weren't disgraced in the fixture and if they had a full side for the 90 minutes there may have been a different outcome.

The Ravens now prepare for a trip to Leyton Orient next weekend