A double substitution just shy of the hour mark was the catalyst for a Boreham Wood turn around that left Bromley scratching their heads as to how they returned from Meadow Park pointless.

Luke Garrard’s decision to introduce Josh Umerah and Gozie Ugwu for the ineffective Recco Hackett-Fairchild and Justin Shaibu reaped immediate dividends for Boreham Wood as Ugwu’s first touch, a header from a Sorba Thomas free kick, completed a come from behind victory that had looked unlikely.

In truth Bromley only had themselves to blame for falling to defeat as despite dominating the first hour of the match they failed to press home the early advantage given to them by Omar Bugiel.

Bugiel’s diving near post header, in the 25th minute of the game, from Frankie Raymond’s corner handed Bromley a lead their positive first half play deserved but it was their failure to score from further set pieces that ensured Boreham Wood were always in the game.

Seven minutes after his opening goal, Bugiel’s header from Frankie Sutherland’s corner was deflected just over Ryan Huddart’s crossbar.

Jack Holland was to go even closer four minutes before the interval ghosting past several Boreham Wood defenders to get on the end of Sutherland’s free-kick only to see his header saved at close range by the feet of Huddart.

The Boreham Wood equaliser when it came was in very fortuitous circumstances and more importantly at the right time to take the wind out of Bromley sails. Connor Smith did well to work space on the right wing and deliver a dangerous cross that appeared to have been dealt with by Richard Brindley, however the right back’s clearance ricocheted of two players before taking a final deflection off an unsuspecting Shaibu to give David Gregory no chance.

Despite being pegged back on the stroke of half time it was still Bromley who came out the better side after the break and they perhaps should have taken the lead with their first chance of the half. Sam Wood’s excellent outside of the boot cross found an onrushing Jack Holland but the Bromley captain headed over with only Huddart to beat.

Having failed to take their opportunities Bromley were duly punished following Ugwu’s introduction and subsequent goal thus forcing them to chase the game over the remaining half hour

It was substitute Adam Mekki who was to be at the heart of most of Bromley’s positive play in this period, his shot on the turn after fellow sub Joe Quigley had seen his chance shot charged down sailed inches wide of Huddart’s left hand post.

Umerah was to have a similar opportunity for the home side but he shot wildly wide when better placed.

The nearest Bromley were to come to an equaliser came courtesy of a vicious Mekki drive from just inside the penalty area that crashed against the crossbar and away to safety.

With time running out and Bromley throwing caution to the wind, a late chance presented itself when Omar Bugiel ran on to a Mekki through ball but just as he was about to pull the trigger he was denied by Jamal Fyfield’s sliding challenge. Referee Sam Alllison adjudged it to be a fair tackle and with that Bromley’s chance of a late equaliser was extinguished.

The defeat puts an end to Bromley’s five match unbeaten run but they will be looking to rectify that with the visit of relegation threatened Braintree Town to the Westminster Waste stadium on Tuesday night.