Gavin McCallum’s second half goal saw Welling United through in the F.A. Cup against an obstinate Chesham United team.

Despite having only won one league point so far this season, the visitors came close early on when Dave Pearce collected a short corner and chipped a cross towards the far post but it was just too high for Ryan Blake who could only direct his header wide of the far post.

Jack Jebb delivered a free kick for Welling that found Danny Mills but nobody was able to get on the end of his lay-off.

Darren Locke’s floated header from a deep cross by Lewis Rolfe clipped the crossbar then veteran striker Louis Jefferson shot high into the trees after bringing a long pass down well.

Matt Bevans hit a free kick well over as the Generals continued to press before Jefferson fired over from the angle of post and bar.

On the half hour mark, the 39 year old put the visitors ahead. Welling tried to pass their way out from the edge of their own penalty area, Louis shrugged off a couple of challenges before he fired into the bottom corner from twenty yards.

That seemed to awaken the Wings and they replied five minutes later when Gavin McCallum went on a surging run down the left wing before pulling back for Jack Jebb to stroke home.

Nassim L’Ghoul then found McCallum who spun and shot but Alex Tokarczyk dived to save well.

Tokarcyzk made another good save to keep out a Craig Braham-Barrett shot at the near post before making a less convincing one from a shot by L’Ghoul.

After the interval McCallum headed over from a Jebb corner before Bradley Clayton fired well over for Chesham.

Louis headed wide from a deep Rolfe cross but that was the last of the visitors as an attacking threat.

L’Ghoul did well to create room for himself but then dragged his shot wide as Welling looked to break the dead-lock.

Braham-Barrett then did well to give Jebb room for a cross. His first attempt was blocked but it came back to him at a better angle and his second cross found McCallum who spun and shot just wide,

Danny Mills came close to breaking his Welling duck but was thwarted when Tokarczyk made a brilliant point blank save from his header from L’Ghoul’s cross.

Substitute Zack Newton was next to try his luck but he was off balance as he headed James Hurst’s cross wide.

Newton then turned provider when pulling back to Yannis Ambroisine but his shot was deflected over.

When Mills headed over from Jebb’s cross it started to look as though a replay may be necessary but Jebb and McCallum had other ideas. Having combined for the equaliser, this time it was Jebb who turned provider. He whipped in a deep free kick that McCallum met with a powerful header that flew into the back of the net.

Jebb had a shot saved then an unmarked Mills failed to get enough power on his header as Welling saw the game out comfortably despite the referee prolonging the added time of four minutes by two more.

Welling United: Wilks, Hurst Braham-Barrett, Ijaha (Anau 89), Ambroisine, Audel, Kissock (Newton 62), Jebb, Mills, McCallum, L’Ghoul (Mendy 79). Subs not used: Gibbons, Quebe, Pinney, Banya.