Millwall crashed out of the FA Cup after Ian Henderson’s goal saw League One Rochdale set up a potential fifth round clash with Tottenham Hotspur.

Rochdale had the first opportunity of the match as Matthew Done saw his low shot blocked by Northern Ireland international Conor McLaughlin before the ball fell back to Henderson but he shot inches wide of the target in what was nearly a dream start for the home side inside two minutes.

Milwall’s first chance arrived on 15 minutes as Ben Thompson got on the end of a corner but his header was tipped over the crossbar by Dale keeper Josh Lilis before the home side cleared the following corner to safety.

In an opening that lacked many clear-cut chances due to the poor pitch it was the Lions who created the next opening on 23 minutes when Shaun Williams clipped a superb pass over the Dale defence into Ryan Tunnicliffe however he was denied by another good Lillis stop.

Neil Harris was frustrated with his sides lack of attacking intent in the opening exchanges, it took until 36 minutes until the next talking point as Jason Shackell latched onto a Tunnicliffe free-kick however his header was well cleared by Harrison McGahey.

It was then the turn of Keith Hills side to create a good opening as Ryan Delaney fizzed in a low cross that was well cleared by Millwall captain Shaun Hutchinson as once again danger man Henderson was lurking to pounce and surely put the home side ahead on the stroke of half-time.

Rochdale started the second half the better of the sides as Done fired in a low cross for Calum Camps, but his powerful strike was well blocked by the outstretched leg of Shackell who signed for the club from Derby County last month.

The Lions then immediately responded as Lillis made another fine save when Shane Ferguson linked up well with Tunnicliffe however the former Manchester United midfielder’s effort was well kept out by the Dale keeper.

Hill’s side then took the lead on 55 minutes as Calvin Andrew went on a powerful run down the right before his cross found Henderson and he made no mistake poking the ball past David Martin in the Millwall goal to send the home supporters wild.

Martin was then to come to the Lions rescue on 64 minutes as Camps hit a low shot from range before bouncing into the grateful clutches of the keeper to his left.

Tom Elliot was then the next to try his luck to draw his side level as he was played in by Steve Morison however his effort was once again well held by the impressive Lillis in the home sides goal with twenty minutes of the contest remaining.

Rochdale were good value for their lead and they nearly doubled their advantage as Andrew pulled the ball back for Done but he lashed his strike just over from long range on 86 minutes.

Harris then saw his side inches away from an equaliser at the death when Morison turned the Dale defence before his effort was blocked by Andrew Cannon when it looked like he would force extra time but it wasn’t to be as Millwall’s cup hopes ended.