Charlton’s winless run extended to eight league games after losing 2-1 to Gillingham.

Goals from Josh Parker and Tom Eaves put the Gills into a commanding lead before Joe Aribo’s header made for a nervy ending.

Charlton are still four points from the play-offs.

Karl Robinson welcomed Jake Forster-Caskey, Leon Best and Patrick Bauer back into the squad.

Charlton started slowly and were lucky not to be behind in the third minute. A ball was chipped into Eaves, who beat the offside trap, and fired straight at Ben Amos.

The hosts created a half chance when Ben Reeves hit the side netting before Gillingham took the lead.

Eaves outmuscled Naby Sarr and squared to Parker who slotted home on 11 minutes.

Charlton failed to respond and found themselves two down after the half hour mark. Eaves connected first time with Luke O’Neill’s cross to compound the Addicks’ misery.

The big striker was left unmarked by Sarr, who was booed by home fans for his part in the goals. The French defender really struggled with the Gills’ physicality.

The Addicks were way off the mark against lowly-placed Gillingham and only threatened from set-pieces in the first-half.

Robinson made a double substitution at the break with Best and Aribo replacing Reeves and Forster-Caskey.

Josh Magennis and Best couldn't keep their close-range efforts on target in the first two minutes of the second-half.

And Best, who gave Charlton a better attacking threat, saw a later effort saved by Tomas Holy. But the striker damaged his knee landing awkwardly and was subbed off after being on the pitch for just eight minutes.

The Addicks spurned a golden chance when Magennis headed Ricky Holmes’ cross on to the bar.

Charlton’s second-half onslaught continued as Mark Marshall and Josh Magennis were just inches away from getting on the end of two dangerous balls.

They were camping in Gillingham’s half and Magennis went close again when Holy got a hand to his header.

Charlton’s pressure helped them get a goal back when Aribo headed in Holmes’ corner on 83 minutes.

But it was in vain as Gillingham held on with Eaves hitting the post late on.

Charlton XI: Amos, Konsa, Sarr, Lennon, Dasilva, Kashi, Forster-Caskey (Aribo, 45), Marshall, Reeves (Best, 45) (Ahearne-Grant, 53), Holmes, Magennis.

Subs not used: Phillips, Jackson, Bauer, Dijksteel.

Click here to like our Charlton Facebook page