Charlton held on for a hard-earned point against league leaders Wigan on Friday night.

It is now seven league games without a win for the Addicks, but they can take heart from their gutsy display against League One’s in-form club.

But the visitors could have won it late on when Karlan Ahearne-Grant dragged his shot wide from four yards.

Charlton boss Karl Robinson made three changes to the side that lost 3-1 to Southend on Boxing Day with Harry Lennon, Johnnie Jackson and Mark Marshall coming in for Anfernee Dijksteel, Ricky Holmes and Ben Reeves.

Lennon was making his first league start in 14 months, while Holmes was only fit enough for the bench.

Charlton started the night in a 4-5-1 formation with Ahearne-Grant leading the line and first-choice striker Josh Magennis out wide.

And their defensive shape worked in the first-half as they frustrated Wigan.

The Latics created the first meaningful chance of the evening when Will Grigg headed wide from close-range in the 21st minute.

But Ahearne-Grant, who was often isolated as the lone striker, put in a dangerous cross which Jackson just missed to remind the hosts of Charlton’s threat.

Charlton were fortunate that Grigg didn't make more of a cross that deflected his way, the Northern Ireland forward could only poke the ball towards Ben Amos, who easily saved his effort.

The Addicks could have taken the lead just before half-time when Jackson and Ahearne-Grant combined well in the box, but the latter struck the side netting.

Ahmed Kashi directed a 20-yard free-kick a few inches over the bar following the restart.

Ahearne-Grant threatened in behind after being played through by Marhsall in the 64th minute. The Addicks academy graduate rounded the goalkeeper but saw his shot blocked from a tight angle.

Gary Jacobs, who was marshalled by Ezri Konsa for most of the evening, showed some of his Championship quality when his cross was agonisingly put wide by Nick Powell.

And Jacobs was more lively after a quiet first-half. The winger stung Amos’ palms with a powerful drive from 18 yards.

Wigan ramped up the pressure as the game went on. Lennon misjudged the plight of the ball which allowed Grigg to head back to Ivan Toney, whose effort was fortunately scrambled clear.

The only negative for Charlton was seeing Lennon go off with an injury - he was their best player on the night.

With 10 minutes remaining, Amos did well to smother Grigg’s close-range shot.

And Charlton missed their golden opportunity to win it in the 87th minute after Ahearne-Grant carried the ball from his own half to shoot wide when one-on-one with Latics stopper Christian Walton.

The Addicks rode their luck in injury time when Sam Morsy’s deflected strike hit the post, which ensured the South Londoners kept a first clean sheet since October. 

Charlton XI: Amos, Konsa, Sarr, Lennon (Dijksteel, 76), Dasilva, Marshall (Holmes, 72), Kashi, Jackson, Aribo, Magennis, Ahearne-Grant (Hackett-Fairchild, 90).

Subs not used: Phillips, Lapslie, Reeves, Dodoo.