Charlton were dumped out of the FA Cup after losing 3-1 to AFC Wimbledon.

Karlan Ahearne-Grant cancelled out Cody McDonald’s early goal in a hard-fought opening 45 minutes.

But two second-half goals from Lyle Taylor ended the Addicks’ FA Cup adventure in the second round.

Karl Robinson made three changes to the side that drew to Peterborough in midweek with Anfernee Dijksteel, Joe Aribo and Ahearne-Grant replacing Patrick Bauer, Ahmed Kashi and Leon Best.

Wimbledon threatened on two minutes as Harry Forrester shot wide from just inside the box.

And Charlton had a chance of their own moments later when Ahearne-Grant’s close-range effort was blocked by Dons stopper George Long.

But comical defending by the Addicks gave the home side a 10th-minute lead. Deji Oshilaja was allowed to tiptoe into the box with ease and miscommunication between Ezri Konsa and Ben Amos allowed McDonald to slam the ball into an empty net.

The visitors’ defensive frailties continued to show after Naby Sarr was outmuscled by Lyle Taylor, who fortunately hit the side netting from a tight angle.

Following more Wimbledon pressure, Charlton equalised against the run of play thanks to Ahearne-Grant’s second goal in as many games.

Mark Marshall carried the ball down the right wing and his cross-shot was turned in by the young forward.

Taylor was a constant thorn in Charlton’s backline and saw a powerful 25-yard drive pushed away by Amos as the half wore on.

Charlton could have gone in front just before the break. Marshall’s mazy run culminated with a cut-back to Josh Magennis, whose shot was excellently blocked.

Robinson’s men started the second-half like a house on fire, Marshall had an effort parried before Long made one of the best saves of the season. Jay Dasilva’s deflected strike was pushed on to the post by the goalkeeper.

And as the ball dropped fortuitously to Magennis, his snap-shot was blazed over the bar. He should have scored.

There were stoppages in play to treat injuries to Taylor and Ahearne-Grant, which slowed the game down.

And in their first attack of the second-half, Wimbledon regained their goal advantage in the 70th minute. McDonald was allowed to run at the Charlton defence, and after appearing to be fouled by Konsa, the ball fell to Taylor who slotted home.

Charlton went in search for a second equaliser. Konsa couldn't sort his feet out in time to connect with Magennis’ knock-down.

And the contest was over with 10 minutes to go when referee James Linington pointed to the spot after Dijksteel appeared to bring down a Dons attacker inside the box. Taylor stepped up and completed his brace.

Something positive for the Addicks was the return of injury-hit defender Harry Lennon, who came on as a late substitute. 

Charlton XI: Amos, Dijksteel, Konsa, Sarr, Dasilva, Aribo (Lennon, 88), Forster-Caskey, Marshall (Hackett-Fairchild, 76), Ahearne-Grant (Best, 69), Holmes, Magennis.

Subs not used: Phillips, Jackson, Dodoo.