A Ben Reeves brace ensured there was no FA Cup upset as Charlton beat Truro City 3-1 in the first-round of the competition.

Reeves opened the scoring before Mark Marshall’s early second-half strike looked to have killed off the non-league side.

They didn't go down without a fight, though, as Tyler Harvey gave them a glimmer of hope when he pulled one back.

But Reeves’ second of the afternoon, his fourth goal in four starts for Charlton, ended the hard-fought contest.

The 996 Truro fans clearly enjoyed a first-round FA Cup outing in 48 years as every cleared cross or intercepted pass was met with huge cheers.

Charlton threatened Truro’s goal on seven minutes when Jake Forster-Caskey headed Ricky Holmes’ delivery on to the crossbar.

The National League South minnows showed glimpses of promise moving forward - Ben Amos had to be alert to hold Tyler Harvey’s powerful header.

Charlton broke the deadlock in the 10th minute thanks to Reeves’ classy finish. Jay Dasilva's chipped ball into the box was controlled by the playmaker, who fired past Thomas McHale.

A fast-paced start to the game was slowed down by the Addicks retention of the ball.

But Truro were nearly level in the 22nd minute after a well-worked corner found Harvey, whose deflected shot was cleared off the line by Chris Solly. As the half wore on, McHale had to parry efforts from Forster-Caskey and Ricky Holmes away from goal.

Charlton extended their lead shortly after the restart when Marshall netted his first goal for the club. He cut in from the right and his shot took a wicked deflection off a Truro player in the 53rd minute.

Harvey, Truro’s most dangerous player on the day, halved the deficit a minute before the hour mark after superbly heading home Aaron Lamont’s cross.

However, any hope of a Truro comeback was put to bed 20 minutes from time when Reeves completed his brace after a smart one-two with Ricky Holmes.

Forster-Caskey could have put more gloss on the scoreline but directed two efforts wide in quick succession.

To their credit, Truro continued to attack in front of their diehard fans, and were unlucky not to get a consolation goal when Harvey struck the post in injury-time.

Charlton XI: Amos, Solly, Konsa, Sarr, Dasilva, Jackson, Forster-Caskey, Marshall (Fosu, 64), Reeves (Clarke, 80), Holmes, Dodoo (Ahearne-Grant, 70).

Subs not used: Phillips, Bauer, Dijksteel, Aribo.