Charlton could not find a way past a poor Bury side as they were held to a 1-1 draw at the Valley.

Jermaine Beckford gave the League One strugglers an early lead before Josh Magennis levelled the score.

The Addicks’ winless run extends to three games and they remain outside the top six.

Karl Robinson made just one change to the team that lost against Gillingham last weekend, with Karlan Ahearne-Grant coming in for the suspended Ricky Holmes.

The Addicks gave up possession too easily in the opening stages which highlighted their slow start to the game.

And the hosts were made to pay for their sluggishness in the ninth minute when Callum Reilly found Beckford, who curled the ball past Ben Amos from 15 yards.

The veteran striker had missed the last two games with a knee injury, but looked sharp at the Valley.

Charlton failed to come up with any immediate response as Bury comfortably contained the front four. But the Addicks could have equalised in the 27th minute. Ahearne-Grant raced on to a punt upfield and failed to keep his lobbed effort down.

Magennis tried his luck shortly after as his low, drilled shot was held by Bury goalkeeper Joe Murphy.

Before Charlton levelled the score, Amos did well to beat away Chris Maguire’s long-range strike.

And Magennis netted his fourth goal of the season after heading home Jake Forster-Caskey’s excellent cross six minutes before half-time.

The start of the second-half summed up the poor quality on show in SE7 today with limited openings.

The game sprung into life when Murphy’s scuffed clearance fell to Magennis, but instead of shooting, the striker passed and the chance was gone.

Moments after that wasted opportunity, Bauer should have scored when he connected with Forster-Caskey’s free-kick after the hour mark.

But Charlton had to stay alert at the back as Ahmed Kashi’s last ditch tackle prevented Josh Laurent from troubling Amos.

The Addicks pestered Bury’s goal for the remainder of the afternoon and Forster-Caskey had a header saved by Murphy at point-blank in the 77th minute.

Murphy was at his best again when he tipped Magennis’ header round the post in injury time. 

Charlton XI: Amos, Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Dasilva, Kashi, Forster-Caskey, Ahearne-Grant (Konsa, 64), Clarke (Dodoo, 78), Fosu, Magennis.

Subs not used: Phillips, Sarr, Jackson, Aribo, Hackett-Fairchild.