LEWIS Grabban struck either side of half-time to consign Charlton to a 2-1 opening day defeat at AFC Bournemouth.

The former Millwall striker fired the Championship newboys in front on 26 minutes, although Yann Kermorgant’s fantastic volley had the Addicks back on terms early in the second half.

However, Grabban struck again with what proved to be the winning goal on 66 minutes and Charlton finished the game with 10-men after Bradley Pritchard was dismissed for a late challenge on Ryan Fraser.

Skipper Johnnie Jackson was ruled with a calf injury so the captain’s armband was handed to Michael Morrison.

Marvin Sordell was handed his first start following his arrival on loan from Bolton on Thursday, but fellow new striker Simon Church was named on the bench.

Sordell glanced a header over from Mark Gower’s corner and then Callum Harriott blazed a shot off target as the Addicks enjoyed two chances in quick succession on six minutes.

Mohamed Coulibaly side-footed a 20 yard effort about a yard wide of Ben Hamer’s far post and former Addick Harry Arter had a crack from inside the area but he had handled before taking the shot, an offence spotted by Andy D’Urso.

Yann Kermorgant’s curling effort from outside the box midway through the opening period was nevr going to trouble Cherries keeper Ryan Allsop.

Steve Cook’s dangerous cross had to be headed behind by Chris Solly but it was from the corner Bournemouth went in front on 26 minutes as it was played short allowing Arter to whip in a cross and Grabban rose high to head home past Hamer.

Wes Thomas almost doubled the advantage immediately but his close range effort went agonisingly wide of the post after he met Marc Pugh’s delivery.

Hamer had to be alert to deal with Steve Cook’s 30-yrad drive, but Charlton waster a good chance after Mark Gower was picked out by Mark Gower but his cross was poor and Morrison was unable to make a decent connection.

Harriott almost equalised with a shot that flew just off target after being put through by Sordell’s clever pass.

Arter burst forward unchallenged and found Grabban, whose shot forced Hamer to get down low to deal with it.

Thomas went close five minutes before the break with a 25 yard stinging shot that went only inches over Hamer’s bar.

But Charlton could perhaps consider themselves slightly fortunate to go in the interval only one goal behind as a second would certainly not have flattered the hosts.

The Addicks were back on terms three minutes after the restart in spectacular style as Kermorgant volleyed home from 15 yards with his left foot.

Kermorgant turned provider three minutes later with a cross that was headed inches over by Bradley Pritchard.

However, the visitors had a fortunate escape when Morrison was dispossessed easily by Thomas and his shot was saved by Hamer.

Substitute Fraser’s well-struck 20-yard effort produced a decent stop from the Addicks keeper.

Sordell made way for Church with 25 minutes remaining but it was Grabban who stuck again to restore Bournemouth’s advantage moments later, shaking off Andy Hughes and unleashing an unstoppable shot from 20 yards which gave Hamer no chance.

Charlie Daniels almost made it three with a free-kick which Hamer was relieved to see fly over.

Chris Powell made a double change with 13 minutes left as Andy Hughes and Gower made way for Danny Green and Dale Stephens.

Elliot Ward came to Bornemouth’s rescue by heading Pritchard’s 81st minute header off the line after Green’s free-kick had caused panic in the Cherries’ box.

But Charlton’s task became even more difficult two minutes later when Pritchard was handed a straight red card for a late challenge on Fraser.

Hamer’s blushes were spared after an attempt to release Morrison was instead intercepted by Fraser, whose cross picked out an unmarked Pugh in acres of space but he blazed his effort behind.

Dervite headed inches over at the other end from Green’s corner and Harriott’s low drive was easily gathered by Allsop in the second of six minutes of added time.

Andrew Surman’s placed shot flew behind as Bournemouth continued to press forward, but they didn’t need the cushion of another goal as Grabban’s brace proved decisive.

Follow us on Twitter @NewsShopperSprt

Charlton: Hamer, Solly, Wiggins, Morrison, Dervite, Pritchard, Hughes (Green 77), Gower (Stephens 77), Harriott, Kermorgant, Sordell (Church 65). Subs not used: Pope, Wilson, Evina, Cort. Att: 10,108 (1,421 from Charlton).