Schoolchildren have been evacuated following a suspected chemical leak in Ebbsfleet.

Teachers and staff from Ebbsfleet Academy were evacuated at about 10.30am this morning.

A spokesman for South East Coast Ambulance Service said they, along with Kent Police and the Fire and Rescue Service, remain on the scene.

He said: "We were called to reports of a suspected chemical leak this morning in Ebbsfleet.

"We attended and treated a number of children, adults and staff for the effects of smoke inhalation. This includes coughing and sore eyes.

"We will remain at the scene as symptoms begin to subside. Two adults are likely to be taken to hospital. Nobody is thought to be seriously injured."

Kent Police said the school was evacuated as a precaution. 

A spokesman said: "Kent Police has assisted crews from Kent Fire and Rescue Service while they responded to a suspected chemical leak at a school in Southfleet Road, Swanscombe.

"The incident was reported at 10.30am on Wednesday January 10. The school was evacuated as precaution."

A statement has been posted on the school's website about the chemical incident.

In the statement, Alison Colwell said: "As you are no doubt aware, we have had to close the  school early today due to a minor chemical incident that meant we had to evacuate the building. Students and staff had to remain outside for an hour and a half whilst the fire brigade, police and specialist hazard officers investigated and monitored the situation.

"Despite the cold weather, the students  were impeccable in their sensible behaviour. When we were finally given permission to enter the building, the situation was explained fully to pupils and staff.

"In the interests of the welfare and wellbeing of students and staff I made the decision to close the school for the remainder of the afternoon. All pupils were given lunch if they wanted it before they left, and any student who was not able to or did not wish to go was allowed to stay in school. " 

A KFRS spokesperson said: “Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to Ebbsfleet Academy in Southfleet Road, just before 10.30am to reports of a bleach-like smell in a plant room. As a precaution pupils and staff were evacuated from the building while KFRS’ specialist detection and monitoring team investigated.

"South East Coast Ambulance Service also attended the scene and assessed a small number of patients. The source of the smell is thought to have been a leak from kitchen extraction system in the plant room and the plant room is now being ventilated by fire crews.”