A Swanley family have had a lucky escape after an electric blanket caught fire.

The fire broke out in Lynden Road at about 12.20am this morning, December 15.

An electric blanket that had been left on accidentally had caught alight.

Two fire engines rushed to the scene and a woman, in her early 50s, was treated for smoke inhalation.

She had thrown the electric blanket and a memory foam mattress out of a window and poured water over them to put the fire out.

The fire caused light smoke damage in the bedroom and damaged the blanket and memory foam mattress.

Dartford Crew Manager, Richard Emery, said: “With the recent cold snap, we tend to see people using more electrical items in their homes to keep warm. If you’re using an electric blanket, electric fan heater or any other form of electrical appliances, please make sure they are in proper working order, fit for purpose and that you turn them off when you leave the room or go to bed at night."

“If you’re using multi-socket extension cables and adaptors please don’t plug too many appliances in and overload them and make sure extension cables are fully unwound before use.

“People think we’re life-savers but your smoke alarm is the real hero in your home. So test them regularly and don’t be tempted to remove the batteries. Buy extras for Christmas presents and have a safe and happy time.”

Kent Fire and Rescue Service is also reminding people to please check on their elderly neighbours, relatives and friends to make sure they are safe and well this Christmas.