You may know Lewisham for how it looks today, but it was once home to a luxury department store and two cinemas and we’re going to take you back in time to see them.

Reporter Emily Davison took to two Lewisham community Facebook groups to ask the residents the things they remembered about Lewisham from years ago.

It turns out its changed massively over the years, with shop closures and changes that have altered the way the high street looks now.

And, the people who know it best have recalled some of the things that used to be in Lewisham - from cinemas to a huge department store and more.

These are some of the things that Lewisham Town Centre once had in years passed.

Chiesmans and then Army & Navy

There was once a huge department store known as Chiesmans that was made up of several floors, including the toy department in the basement.

News Shopper:

The Chiesmans once stood where the police station is now at 43 Lewisham High Street - opposite where the Boots is.

Chiesmans was first established in 1884 as a luxury department store selling everything from toys, clothes, homeware, furniture and more.

The shop was mentioned many times by Facebook commenters who spoke of how they remembered walking in the front door to a huge Pick n Mix section and the sleigh ride at Christmas.

Charlotte Davies said: “I remember going on the sleigh ride at Christmas, honestly it felt like we were on it for hours, but it could have only been a few minutes.

“It was truly magical, and it was one of the things that sticks out to me most about my childhood.”

The Chiesmans was eventually renamed to Army & Navy in 1993 before it closed its doors in 1997.

The bridge between Army & Navy and the shopping centre

Around the time that Chiesmans became Army & Navy, a bridge was erected that ran between the department store and the shopping centre.

The bridge crossed over the busy main road where the police station is now and served as a shortcut between the two places.

Eventually the bridge was dismantled sometime after Army & Navy closed its doors.

Eleanor Drew said: “When I think back, I immediately think of the shop Army & Navy where the police station now is.

“Used to have a walk way bridge that connected across to the shopping centre.”

The two cinemas

Up until the 90s you could go to the cinema if you lived in Lewisham and were spoilt for choice between two cinemas at different ends of the high street.

The Odeon Cinema

First opened in 1932, the Odeon Cinema was a popular spot which played many films as well as concerts over the years.

It was located in Loampit Vale opposite Lewisham Station and was once a busy corner in Lewisham.

News Shopper: The Odeon in Lewisham taken in 1977The Odeon in Lewisham taken in 1977 (Image: Lewisham Council)

The Odeon played host to a line-up of celebrity acts over the years with one commenter recounting their memories of seeing Stevie Wonder and Rod Steward live in concert.

Christine Tedder wrote: “I saw Stevie Wonder and Rod Stewart at the Lewisham Odeon.”

The cinema showed its final film in 1981 and was left abandoned for 10 years before it was eventually demolished in 1991.

Studio 6/7

Lewisham also used to have a second, smaller cinema located near St Steven’s Church called Studio 6/7.

News Shopper: Studio 6/7 photo taken in 1977Studio 6/7 photo taken in 1977 (Image: Lewisham Council)

Formerly known as the Rex Cinema, Studio 6/7 opened its doors in 1950, it played many films over the years it was in business including An Officer & a Gentlemen in 1982 and Return of the Jedi in 1983.

The cinema eventually closed its doors in 1986 and was later demolished in 1988.

The clock figures in the precinct

Lewisham children from the 80s may recall the 12 clock figures in the large clock that was formerly in the shopping centre precinct.

The clock featured 12 figures, with one different figure appearing for the different chimes on the hour.

But, on the half an hour chime all 12 figures would come out.

The clock originally stood in the precinct near where the cafeteria is now in between Wilko and M&S.

According to one resident the clock and its figures were dismantled in the early 90s, but they remain strongly in the minds of those who saw them.

Deborah Davies wrote: “I remember the clock figures that used to come out every half an hour, they were all different characters.

“The kids would make me stand and wait to see them, then one day in the 90s when we went to the shopping centre they weren't there and it was like a part of our history was gone.”

The play area in Lewisham Shopping Centre

Where the Costa Coffee is now in the shopping centre there was once a children’s playground, where everything was in the shape of animals.

Davina Fowler wrote: “The amazing playground in the precinct to tire us out while parents could shop, the animal bins with large mouths opened to throw your rubbish in were so much nicer than today’s bins.”