A medic from Crayford has relived the scenes as he rushed into the fleeing crowds to lead the ambulance response to the London Bridge terror attack.

Andy Beasley was one of the first medics on the scene during the attack in June that led to the murder of eight people, and the injury of 48 others.

Mr Beasley, 49, is an Incident Response Officer who commanded the scene at Borough Market from his arrival at 10pm.

He has now been commended for his bravery.

Speaking to News Shopper, Mr Beasley described what it was like arriving in the midst of the attack.

He said: "When I got there, loads of members of the public and police were running towards me. It was very hectic.

"You don't think about it though. Training kicks in and you do your job.

"We did hear gunfire, and I had to duck for cover at one point. But again, the training you get is brilliant and you're prepared for that."

The attacks on London Bridge started at just after 10pm when a van mounted the pavement, striking pedestrians, and killing three.

After the van crashed, the three terrorists inside ran to the nearby Borough Market area and began stabbing people in restaurants and pubs.

The attackers, who wore fake explosive vests, were later shot dead by police.

Andy stayed on the scene for 11 hours, repeatedly declining to go home.

"You want to see the job through once you've started it," he said, "You want to carry it out until the end."

Mr Beasley was also called to the scene of the Westminster Attack carried out by Dartford-born Khalid Masood, in which Bromley policeman Keith Palmer was murdered.

The brave medic, who has worked for London Ambulance Service for 27 years, said: "I was on the Southside of the bridge for that one, it was a smaller scale. Again, it's about the training."

Andy was one of 200 people recognised for their actions during the terror attacks at London Bridge, Westminster and Finsbury Park this year.

They were presented by City of London Police Commissioner, the British Transport Police Chief Constable and Metropolitan Police Commissioner.

The hero said he was grateful to be recognised, but he was just a small part in a big machine.

He said: "I was embarrassed to be honest. I'm being recognised as a hero, but I wasn't the only person on that bridge. The public and the police were out of this world that night, everyone mucked in together. I was just a small cog. Without the help of Londoners, we would not have been able to save as many lives as we did."

LAS Chief Executive Garrett Emmerson, who attended the ceremony on December 4, said this year has been particularly challenging.

He said: "We’ve been tested this year like never before, but Andy and all of his colleagues who responded to these terrible incidents, pulled together to provide a truly professional response.”