A SMOKE alarm which had been fitted by firefighters saved the lives of a family when their house in Downham caught fire.

The beeping from the device alerted the mother at about 8.40pm on Tuesday night (September 11) and she got herself and her three children out of the home.

Firefighters from Bromley fire station then battled the fire in the kitchen and downstairs bathroom at the property in Capstone Road.

It took them around 30 minutes to get the blaze under control.

The woman and her children, who are believed to be aged between four and 11, did not need medical treatment because they got out of the house so quickly.

The smoke alarm had been fitted by Downham firefighters during a fire safety visit. Call 08000 284428 to request one for your home.