A FATHER who drove a teenager to Bexleyheath police station for shooting his 12-year-old son with a BB gun was arrested and thrown in a cell for seven hours.

Stuart Pettman, of Bexley Village, was arrested on August 19 by four officers in front of his 14-year-old daughter and had his fingerprints, photos and DNA taken.

The 43-year-old was trying to get justice for his son Oliver who had been shot with a BB gun the day before after being confronted by a group of youths in Bexley's Golden Acre Park.

Mr Pettman told News Shopper: "One of them called Oliver racist.

"Oliver said he wasn't racist but the boy shot him in the leg and asked 'did that hurt?'.

"When Oliver said no, he shot him in the back and asked 'did that hurt?'.

"He told Oliver to kiss his feet and when he refused he shot him point blank in the head."

After reporting the incident to police, the businessman decided to cheer up his son by taking him for a meal - but while driving through Bexley Village they spotted the youth who had shot Oliver.

Mr Pettman said: "I was very angry and grabbed him by his shirt and told him to get in the car and that I was taking him to the police station.

"I did shout because I wanted to shock him but shouting and swearing is not against the law."

During his interview the boy alleged Mr Pettman had assaulted him and had a hack saw blade with him - which turned out to be Mr Pettman's keys.

When Mr Pettman was asked to return to the station the following day to check his statement, he was arrested on suspicion of common assault and possession of an offensive weapon.

His wife was unable to take Oliver to a doctor's appointment as Mr Pettman was locked up for seven hours and officers searched their house.

Mr Pettman has decided to move his family to Singapore following the ordeal.

He said: "This is just typical of broken Britain and I have had enough.

"I work hard, I don’t break the law, I’m polite, I try to do the right thing all the time and they treated me like a criminal."

Oliver has been left suffering from nightmares, headaches and will not go out in public on his own.

Mr Pettman was released with no further action while two boys, aged 14 and 15, were both arrested on suspicion of actual bodily harm and possession of an imitation firearm.

They have both been bailed pending further inquiries.

A Met Police spokesman said: "The Metropolitan Police Service is committed to serving and protecting all sections of the public.

"This involves investigating allegations of crime in an impartial manner based on the facts which are known to us at the time."

The investigation continues.