Two men still remain in custody in connection with the death of a 30-stone Charlton fan.

Duncan Frame - known locally as "Big Duncan" - was rushed to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woolwich, after being found unconscious when a charity night at his local boozer ended in violence.

But there was nothing medics could do and he was declared dead on arrival.

The 52-year-old had been enjoying a night out at the Cutty Sark, Joyce Dawson Way, Thamesmead, when the trouble started on Saturday night.

A mass brawl left several people injured including unemployed Mr Frame.

Police and ambulance crews arrived at the pub at around 11.30pm and were met with a scene of chaos.

Out of 21 people arrested, 19 have been released on police bail, while two are still being questioned.

Police have been given a warrant to detain the men for a further 24 hours under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act.

A murder investigation has been launched, and police are looking into the possibility the violence was sparked by rival Charlton and Spurs' fans.

A post-mortem examination on Monday found Mr Frame, of Edington Road, Abbey Wood, had died of heart failure and head injuries.

Charlton Athletic FC released a statement expressing its sympathy to his family and friends but it also moved to quash speculation the violence was football related.

A club spokesman said: "Charlton would like to stress the club does not believe the incident was associated in any way with football hooliganism, or was caused by rivalry between the two clubs.

"The club believes this incident is synonymous with the type of violent behaviour which is evident in our towns and cities every weekend."

It is believed Mr Frame, who was well known for his work in the community, helped organise the charity night for a disabled youngster.

Floral tributes have been laid outside the pub, and neighbours and friends have told of their shock at his death.

Next-door neighbour Venira Chapman, 42, said: "I said hello' to him on Saturday morning and next thing I hear from my son he's died. It was such a shock.

"It's a very tragic end for someone who is always doing good in the community.

"He always had a smile on his face."

Another neighbour, who wanted to remain anonymous, said: "I've put this English flag outside my home in memory of Duncan.

"I knew him since I was four and I know he couldn't hurt anyone. It's very upsetting and my thoughts are with his family at this time."

The father-of-four was a member of the Abbey Mead Social Club in Finchale Road, Abbey Wood, and used to hold fundraising events there.

Manager Martin Feeney said: "There were countless times when Duncan would raise money for charity or for people in trouble like when an old lady was mugged.

"I knew him for 20 years and he never caused any trouble. He wasn't a violent man.

"He was a lovely bloke who was well-loved by everyone. He will be missed."

Thamesmead resident Clare Hopkins, 29, who was looking at the flower tribute outside the Cutty Sark and whose parents knew Mr Frame, said: "We are all shocked. It's absolutely tragic. He was a gentle giant.

"I can't believe this has happened to someone who was such a loveable character who raised money and helped out in the community."

Anyone who was in Joyce Dawson Way and Thamesmead Town Centre between 9.30pm and midnight are being asked to come forward and call 020 8345 3775.