FIVE men have been found guilty of manslaughter following the death of a cyclist in St Paul's Cray.

Andrew Carlisle, aged 35, of Horning Close, Mottingham, 24-year-old William Dennard, of Ridgeway, Darenth, and George Webb, aged 26, of Montbretia Close, St Paul's Cray, were found guilty by a jury today (June 16) after a trial at the Old Bailey.

David Cook, aged 24, of Lamberhurst Close, Orpington, and 23-year-old Shane Webb, of Osbourne Road, Dartford, were also found guilty of the manslaughter of 51-year-old Graham Thwaites, of Petersham Drive, St Paul's Cray.

News Shopper: ST PAUL'S CRAY: Five guilty of cyclist Graham Thwaites manslaughter

Left to right, top to bottom: Andrew Carlisle, William Dennard, Shane Webb, George Webb, David Cook

The trial heard how father-of-two Mr Thwaites was knocked off his bicycle by a car in Leesons Hill, St Paul's Cray, on September 18, 2008, following a car chase involving the five defendants.

Carlisle was driving a Shogun while the other four were in a Vauxhall Vectra.

Dennard, Cook and the Webbs were trying to find Carlisle following a dispute over the sale of a Rottweiler puppy.

The court heard both cars were speeding at between 50 and 60mph in Leesons Hill, a two-lane road with a 30mph limit.

Mr Thwaites was in the centre of the road about to turn right into Highfield Road but did not make it across as he was hit by the Shogun.

He died in hospital later that night.

Detective Inspector Mark Cam, from the Met Police's road death investigation unit, said: "Mr Thwaites lost his life because Carlisle, Dennard, Cook and the Webbs were intent on airing their personal grievances out on a public road.

"They all drove dangerously, recklessly, above the speed limit and without any consideration for members of the public.

"This wasn't simply a case of bad driving, it was manslaughter and I am pleased with today's verdict. I hope it goes some small way to providing comfort to Mr Thwaites' family who have acted with great dignity throughout this investigation."

Hazel Thwaites, the widow of Mr Thwaites, said: "This senseless act of driving cost Graham his life, he is missed by all of his family and friends."

The men were all remanded in custody and to be sentenced on July 15.