A MUM-OF-THREE set fire to herself before jumping four storeys to her death, an inquest heard.

Depressive Juliet Elford was discovered moaning in agony by residents who found her burning on the ground.

Southwark Coroner's Court was told Ms Elford, 41, had suffered depression for a decade.

Speaking to News Shopper, her partner of eight years David Davis says he still has questions about her death.

He says it is a mystery how Ms Elford gained entry to the Bell Green Lane flats in Sydenham early on August 10.

She had left home in Larkbere Road, Sydenham, and was caught on CCTV going into the Jet petrol station in Southend Lane to buy a can of petrol at 1.30am.

Later she gained entry in the flats, climbed to the fourth floor, doused herself with petrol and set herself alight before jumping.

Residents used sheets to put out the flames but Ms Elford later died in Lewisham Hospital.

Mr Davis said: "I've been told the entrance doors are always locked.

"This issue of how she got into the block was not resolved.

"Someone might have helped her get in. It's all a mystery."

The unemployed 43-year-old added: "I think the police ruled a line over the incident once they found out she had mental health problems."

At the inquest, coroner John Sampson recorded an open verdict, saying: "While I am wholly satisfied it was her actions which led to this outcome, I simply don't have enough evidence to make a finding to the appropriate standard of proof she intended to take her own life."

Mr Davis says Ms Elford was suffering depression when he met her in 1997.

The first signs her mental health was deteriorating was in 2000 when she said she was seeing things and hearing voices.

Mr Davis said: "In 2001 her condition got worse. She would stay awake all night.

"I felt my life was in danger so I hid all sharp objects in one of the kids' bedrooms.

"She told me she could see spirits in the house and they were talking to her and she could hear voices. That's when I called the mental health people in."

The housewife was put on strong anti- depressant tablets but she never took the correct dosage.

Mr Davis added: "If she had taken all four tablets instead of just the one she could have got better within a year.

"But she never took them regularly. I tried to help her take them.

"When she started to feel better she would then blame the tablets for making her see the spirits.

"I would often hear her crying in the bathroom but then she would act as if nothing was wrong."

On the night before she died he described her in the same state of mind as in 2001.

Mr Davis said: "She had this look of fear a 10-year-old would have when looking at a Rottweiller.

"She kept asking me Is it my fault? Is it my fault?' I didn't know what she was talking about.

"I tried to relax her by giving her a Paul McKenna CD to listen to.

"It encourages you to use happy memories to make you feel better.

"But after a while she started moving about and seemed very agitated. She then asked to listen to some music."

The next thing he remembers was waking up the next day and finding she was not there.

He searched their house and the park down the road at about 8.45am.

When he returned the police knocked at the door to tell him what had happened to her.

He said: "When I saw the police I thought she had been raped. I was shocked more than anything.

"I just can't think about it. The home isn't the same without her. Her five-year-old son has been told and is having counselling.

"He is coping better than I thought. Her other two sons are being strong. They think it is madness. We are just taking each day as it comes."