When former Swans goalkeeper Delroy Preddie, now playing for Ryman premier opponents Chesham, saved Steve Warren's penalty kick at the start of the second-half a draw looked the most likely result of Saturday's FA Trophy match at the Meadow.

It was Preddie, too, who the home side had to thank in the first minute when he made a fine, full length save to push the ball round his left post when Warren struck a low free kick round the wall from 20 yards.

Swans continued to look the better side for the opening half hour, Scott Edgar shooting wide of the near post after Derek Bryan had nodded on to him on the left, and Lee O'Donnell ending a neat build up with a low shot from 25 yards that Preddie took comfortably.

Chesham's only threat had come when Clarke beat Francis Dolan on the left to force Nicky Andrews to hastily clear for a corner.

But with Swans having nothing to show for their early dominance, Chesham began to put together some attacks of their own and when Kandol latched on to a bouncing ball, Adam Thompson, who had another superb game in defence, had to make a splendid last ditch tackle.

Dandol injured his hamstring in the exchange and af-ter lengthy treatment played no further part.

Swans continued to have a shaky spell, and after Hay just failed to get his head to Scarlett's ball in from the right, it was Dolan's turn to come to the rescue with a fine tackle to deny Nwokeji.

Walton then had a double piece of good fortune when both O'Donnell and Chris Whelan appeared to get away with the ball striking an arm inside the penalty box.

So the home side were probably entitled to feel aggrieved when after just a minute of the second half, Cooper was adjudged to have handled the ball under pressure from Edgar and Bryan.

But although Warren struck the spot kick well, Preddie guessed correctly and pulled off a great save to his right with Bryan just failing to get to the rebound.

Thompson had to make another fine tackle to deny Hay, and Clarke had a firm strike from the left deflected wide as Chesham looked the more likely to end the stale-mate.

But when Warren put in a long throw, Bryan could not direct his header on target after Edgar nodded on.

Capone made a splendid run forward for Chesham before lobbing just wide of the far post and, after Swans had forced a scramble to clear in the home penalty box they were caught on the break, only for Sinclair to shoot wide from Hay's pass.

With time running out, Swans twice went agonisingly close to settling the tie.

Warren drove a free kick for-ward to Whelan, who headed back across goal to substitute Richard Newbery whose first time effort just cleared the crossbar.

Thompson then played the ball forward to Warren who struck a fine, low shot from 15 yards, but the ball went straight to Preddie on the line.

It was then left to Dolan to make another fine, saving tackle as Clarke broke away.

See Friday's Surrey Comet for more.

December 2, 2002 16:00