AN alcoholic post office worker suffering from depression killed himself at his parents' Blackmore home.

Michael John Bradley, 43, from Romford, died from carbon monoxide poisoning after shutting himself inside the garage in his mother's car and leaving the exhaust running.

An inquest at Epping Coroner's Court on Friday heard how Mr Bradley admitted his drink problem and was seeking treatment.

The court was told that Mr Bradley, who was house-sitting for his parents at the time, had made previous attempts on his life and was also being treated for depression.

Mr Bradley was discovered dead in his mother's Vauxhall by his brother, Alastair, on September 3 last year after his concerned phone calls to the house went unanswered. A hose had been taped from the exhaust into the car and the garage door had also been taped.

The inquest heard that Mr Bradley had pushed his brother's Jaguar out of the garage before the incident.

Mr Bradley left hand-written notes behind, which his father, John, identified as being in his son's writing.

Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray said: "Having heard the evidence I come to the very sad conclusion that Mr Bradley did intend to take his own life. Quite clearly you (Mr Bradley's family) were a very supportive family and it's a tragedy."

Alcoholic killed himself in his parents' garage