THE council may have to resort to forced entry to stop the silent killer carbon monoxide.

Lewisham Council is appealing to all tenants to allow gas technicians to service their gas appliances.

And will, in certain cases where appliances have not been serviced for several years, use forced entry to gain access to council premises.

The dangerous gas, which can not be seen, smelt or tasted, can also cause permanent neurological damage.

Landlords are required by law to have their properties' gas appliances serviced once a year. Technicians will be servicing appliances, checking for leaks and testing for monoxide.

Deputy mayor Councillor Gavin Moore said: “The most important thing you can do to protect you and your family from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning is get your gas appliances checked annually. The council provides this service free of charge to its tenants.”

Residents are advised to check technicians' identity cards before opening the door and if in any doubt should call the council.

Anyone who is unsure about their gas safety or is unable to be at home during the week should call the hotline on 020 8314 2197.