Fire crews were called to Eltham due to a fire in a block of flats believed to be caused by an electrical fault.

Emergency services were called to Southend Crescent yesterday evening at 9.19pm to tackle the blaze.

A flat with five rooms on the fifth floor of the seven-storey building was partially damaged by the fire.

The fire is believed to be accidental and was under control by 10.08pm.

Five fire engines and around 30 firefighters from Sidcup, Bromley, East Greenwich and Greenwich fire stations attended the scene.

Safety tips from LFB

  • Try to keep to one plug per socket, especially for high powered appliances like washing machines.
  • Always check that you’re using the right fuse.
  • Be lead safety savvy – cable drum extension leads should always be completely unwound to avoid overheating, and be careful not to overload extension leads.
  • Always make sure electrical appliances have a British or European safety mark when you buy them.
  • Keep electrical appliances clean and in good working order.
  • Don't buy cheap counterfeit chargers for items that use lithium batteries, and never leave phones or laptops plugged in to charge overnight.