A Southwark man who torched his pregnant ex-partner's Battersea flat has been given a life sentence for attempted murder.

Harry Owusu-Manu, 39, lit a fire at his ex-partner's home in Battersea during the early hours of April 25, 2023.

The victim, who is hearing impaired and was expecting a baby at the time, was inside the flat along with her young daughter.

They were treated for smoke inhalation after the attack and the London Fire Brigade later concluded that the fire had been started intentionally by using a doormat.

Owusu-Manu was found guilty of two counts of attempted murder, aggravated arson with the motive of endangering life, religiously aggravated harassment, and having a lock knife at a public place on February 23, following a trial that went on for five weeks at the Old Bailey.

Detective Constable Megan Gittins said: “It is no exaggeration to say Harry Owusu-Manu made his ex-partner’s life a misery with his behaviour.

“The victim’s home and new baby items including clothes, cot and toys were all destroyed.

“Owusu-Manu refused to accept that she did not want to be in a relationship with him anymore and set about causing her physical and mental harm.

“He began posting derogatory and Islamophobic stories on Instagram but his behaviour soon escalated when he attempted to murder not just his ex-partner but her young daughter and unborn child."

Owusu-Manu attempted to conceal his actions by spray painting a CCTV camera black, but officers traced his path from his house in New Kent Road, Southwark, to the victim's address.

Police said Owusu-Manu had planned the crime diligently, as he had visited the location several times prior to the incident.

Dashcam footage retrieved from the van itself depicted Owusu-Manu making his way to the victim's flat to ignite the fire and also guided officers to a location where Owusu-Manu attempted to discard the clothes he wore during the fire incident.

Owusu-Manu was taken into custody later on April 25 and did not respond to any of the detectives' inquiries.

At the Old Bailey on May 3, he was handed a life sentence with a minimum term of 22 years.

The victim said: "It was devastating that because of this man’s hatefulness I have lost so much that was dear to me.

“I have been deeply traumatised and can never forget the horror of that night. I’m just so grateful to the London Fire Brigade for rescuing us and that my children and I are alive. I truly thought that we were going to die.

"This has changed my life. Losing my lovely home and worse, my sense of security and safety is forever changed. I don’t know when I will ever feel truly safe again."