The cause of a fire at a restaurant with flats above in Petts Wood has been revealed after an investigation by London Fire Brigade.

Ten fire engines and around 70 firefighters tackled the fire on Queensway yesterday (Sunday) at 6.42pm.

Ducting running from the ground floor to the first floor was destroyed by fire.

Half of the restaurant's kitchen and part of a first-floor flat was also damaged by fire.

Around 15 people left the building before firefighters arrived.

Several people were assessed at the scene by London Ambulance Service crews, but none are believed to have required hospital treatment.

The Brigade's 999 Control Officers received nine calls about the fire.

The fire was under control by 8.15pm.

Crews from Orpington, Sidcup, Bromley, and surrounding fire stations attended the scene.

The fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused by the ignition of grease and fat deposits within the extraction system, most likely from the use of a charcoal pit in the kitchen.

Station Commander Simon Chalk, who was at the scene, said: "Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus worked hard to bring the fire under control and then fully extinguish the blaze and dampen down any hotspots.

"Road closures were in place on Queensway and members of the public were advised to avoid the area whilst we remained on scene.

"We'd like to remind restaurant and takeaway owners to ensure they don't have dirty ducting. If you don't clean the ducting in your extraction system regularly, you're at a greater risk of ducting fires.

"You should also make sure you keep the hob, cooker hood and extractor fan clean too – built up fat and grease can ignite and cause a fire."