The cause of a fire which broke out at a block of flats in Erith has been revealed by the fire brigade.

Four fire engines and 25 firefighters were called to a flat fire on Kale Road just after 1.30pm on Sunday (April 14).

Part of a three-roomed flat on the sixth floor of a block of flats was destroyed by fire.

One man left the affected flat before the Brigade arrived, and 50 people also evacuated the building.

Today (April 15), London Fire Brigade has announced that the cause of the fire was accidental and due to the unsafe disposal of smoking materials.

The Brigade's 999 Control staff received 30 calls alerting them to the fire.

No injuries have been reported despite it being a "very visible" fire.

The incident was under control by 2.13pm.

Fire crews from Plumstead, Erith, Bexley and East Greenwich fire stations were in attendance.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "If you smoke it is vitally important you stub it right out, preferably in an ashtray.

"Always ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it. If you don’t, you risk causing a fire as you don’t know what it may land on which could potentially start a fire."