A bonfire warning has been issued after a fire in Erith after what is believed to be unattended burning spread “out of control”.

Firefighters were called to Manor Road in Erith at around 7.10pm yesterday (Monday, April 8).

Most of two 20-foot ISO containers and half of two vehicles were damaged by the fire.

Another vehicle and around four tonnes of rubbish were also destroyed by the blaze.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to the scene to extinguish the fire.

News Shopper: Manor Road, Erith fireManor Road, Erith fire (Image: Macey Newton)

London Fire Brigade believes the fire was caused by unattended burning, which spread out of control.

The fire was under control by 9pm.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "We would urge people to consider if their bonfire is necessary and to take care if you’re burning waste at home or at work. 

"If you’re having a bonfire never leave it unattended and consider your neighbours if you do decide to have a fire in your garden. 

"Make sure you build it clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences and hedges and never use flammable liquids to start it or burn dangerous items such as aerosol cans.

“Always keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe nearby in case of fire. 

“Always check your local authority’s advice on bonfires and follow our safety tips." 

Bonfire safety tips from London Fire Brigade

  • Build your bonfire clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences and hedges 
  • Never use flammable liquids to start a bonfire and never burn dangerous items such as aerosol cans, paint tins, foam furniture or batteries 
  • Don’t leave bonfires unattended. An adult should supervise it until it has burnt out. If it has to be left, damp it down with plenty of water 
  • Check the area to make sure there's no wildlife or pets hiding nearby