The convicted murderer of a woman shot dead outside a police station nearly 21 years ago has refused to name those who pulled the trigger at her inquest.

Sabina Rizvi, 25, was killed in the early hours of March 20, 2003, as she drove away from Bexleyheath police station in south-east London.

In 2004, Paul Asbury, then aged 22, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 20 years after being convicted of her murder and the attempted murder of her boyfriend, Mark Williams, who was a passenger in the car.

On Friday, Asbury gave evidence in the witness box at the Old Bailey as part of the inquest into the circumstances surrounding Ms Rizvi’s death.

Counsel to the inquest Cathryn McGahey KC asked him: “It’s right you were prosecuted for the murder of Sabina Rizvi and the attempted murder of Mark Williams.”

Asbury replied: “Correct.”

Ms McGahey said: “You pleaded not guilty. And gave evidence in your own defence saying you had nothing to do with the murder and you were convicted?”

Asbury agreed.

The lawyer went on: “Do you now accept you were responsible for the murder and attempted murder?”

The witness replied: “Correct.”

He told the inquest jury that he did not know who Ms Rizvi was at the time and she got “caught up in the middle” of a plan to shoot Mr Williams, a convicted drug dealer.

He said: “I did not know Sabina Rizvi. I did not see Sabina Rizvi. She had no part in the plan to attack Mark Williams. She was caught up in the middle.”

He told the inquest he was in a red Vauxhall Astra when he spotted Mr Williams in a Nissan Bluebird being driven by Ms Rizvi as they left the police station.

Asbury said he informed two others driving a Ford Mondeo and they carried out the shooting at around 2.20am, which he said he did not see.

Ms Rizvi was killed by a bullet that went through her neck.

Mr Williams was shot twice in the head – surviving but with significant brain injuries affecting his memory.

Asbury told the court that one of the gunmen is now dead and the other is in another country.

He added: “I have not spoken to them since that night when I said that Mark Williams was in the passenger seat of the car.”

Ms McGahey asked if he could identify the names of two others who pulled the trigger.

Asbury replied: “I don’t want to sit here and say names of people because it’s got no bearing other than to cause potential risk to myself or members of the public.”

The inquest continues, with the jury’s conclusion expected during the week beginning March 25.