The family of a teen who was brutally stabbed to death in a Penge park have slammed his killers' lack of remorse. 

Michael Jonas, 17, was lured to Betts Park then stabbed to death on November 2, 2017. 

In November 2023, after a six year wait for justice, six men were found guilty of Michael’s murder. 

Michael had been approached by five of the group as he walked down Anerley Road, before all walking into the park together. 

Just three minutes later, all of the defendants were seen fleeing the park on bicycles. 

The fatal attack had taken no more than 120 seconds. 

Police say none of the group ever admitted responsibility or provided any reason for their actions, however the court heard that they had believed Michael was a ‘snitch’.

'Nobody should have to bury their child'

Victim impact statements written by Michael's family were read at the Old Bailey on Monday (February 5).

Michael Jonas Senior, Michael’s dad, said: “Listening to the details in court about how my son was brutally killed will stay with me for the rest of my days.” 

He said he was on the Number 3 bus in Crystal Palace on his way to meet Michael to put up some furniture when he got a call from his daughter. 

She then passed the phone to a police officer, who said: “Mr Jonas, I’m sorry but Michael is no longer with us.” 

“I then had to organise my first funeral, which was for my child,” Mr Jonas said. “Nobody should have to bury their child first. It is my death sentence.” 

By early December 2017, all six defendants had been arrested and charged.  

But the case was dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) early the following year. 

In October 2022, the CPS agreed to reinstate the original charges and the men were all found guilty of murder in November 2023/

News Shopper: Top row: Jamie Marshall, Jason Smith, Sorraviho Smith Bottom: Divon Henry-Campbell, Ryan Brown, Nyron John-BaptisteTop row: Jamie Marshall, Jason Smith, Sorraviho Smith Bottom: Divon Henry-Campbell, Ryan Brown, Nyron John-Baptiste (Image: Met Police)Mr Jonas said: “It has been six years since Michael was murdered, and for some years I never thought I would get justice for my son.” 

He told the Old Bailey that during that time he had handed out leaflets and put out appeals to try to get justice.

Mr Jonas thanked a "brave" witness who came forward and revealed how his son had died. 

'Michael was loved by everyone'

Michael’s mum said: “The night the police came to tell me my son had been murdered in the park, I passed out. 

“I could not believe this was the same park I had been taking Michael to since he was young, and now he was lying on the floor dead. 

“No words can explain the pain and hurt.” 

She said: “Not a day goes by when I don’t think about him. I miss him so much. 

“Michael was loved by everyone. He was someone who liked to be by himself, he didn’t want anyone to tell him what to do or control him. 

“He was a talented young man with goals and morals. 

“He was taken from us in the cruellest way and I hope we get justice.” 

Michael’s sister said: “I don’t even know where to start. No words can explain how I feel losing my older brother, life is not the same anymore.” 

Michael’s killers will be sentenced at the Old Bailey. 

They are:

Nyron Jean Baptiste, 22, of Queen Adelaide Road, Penge

• Divon Henry-Campbell, 23, of Fayland Avenue, Streatham

• Jason Smith, 20, of Bow Avenue Lane, Dartford

• Jamie Marshall, 22, of Burham Close, Penge

• Ryan Girense Brown, 21, of Sydenham Road, Croydon

• Sarraviho Smith, 23, of Grove Hill Road, Camberwell