The family of an eight-year-old boy who was killed by a dangerous driver in Plumstead face an anxious wait for justice after court delays. 

Nicholas Hopkins, 20, drove his motorbike into little Mustafa Ahmed, his 10-year-old brother and their dad as they crossed the road. 

Mustafa was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on Plumstead Road on February 19 last year. 

In November, Hopkins pleaded guilty to causing death and serious injury by dangerous driving, as well as driving whilst uninsured and possession of class B drugs. 

On Friday (January 26) Hopkins was due to be sentenced at Inner London Crown Court. 

But Mustafa’s grieving family were informed that the case would have to be adjourned at late notice because the prosecutor was not available. 

Hopkins appeared in court via video link, with curly ginger hair and glasses.

Judge Freya Newbery told him: “For really unfortunate reasons the prosecutor has got stuck at the Old Bailey where she’s involved in a very serious sentencing there. 

“She was unable to be released to come to this court. As a result she wouldn’t be able to be here until 3pm or 3.30pm, so I do have to put the sentence back to another day.” 

Judge Newbery added: “I know that this will be very disappointing for you, Mr Hopkins, but also for your victims who are waiting anxious for the sentence to take place.” 

The sentence will instead take place next Friday (February 2). 

News Shopper: Nicholas HopkinsNicholas Hopkins (Image: Met Police)Mustafa was on his way to the mosque in Plumstead on the evening of Sunday, February 19 last year. 

While he was crossing the road with his family, Hopkins crashed into them on his motorbike. 

Mustafa was later pronounced dead at the scene while his dad was left in a coma for two months.   

Detective Sergeant Sam Miles, from the Roads and Transport Policing Command, previously said: “Our thoughts remain with Mustafa’s family – who continue to struggle with the events of that day – as well as the officers and paramedics who were first on scene.  
“This is truly a tragic case, caused by the defendants reckless and dangerous driving. Mustafa was only eight years old, and had the rest of his life ahead of him.”